V.indicus and V.indicus "blue phase"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
young cape doreanus, not my photo can't remember whose it is, if asked will remove immediately apologies in advance just in case
View attachment 309933

edit: pic thingy not working too well, just click on the numbers. If that's not working for people let me know and will upload another way

Thats dannys picure from chilli beach i think

ah yeah think it was, couldn't be certain though was sent to me a while ago... danny if you want me to take it down just let me know and it's gone, no worries

I know nothing about V. indicus taxonomy. What I do know is that colour alone is not sufficient to warrant even sub-species division. There are only a few genes involved and they have multiple alleles which result in different colours. For example, the Common Tree Snake has several colour phases - grass green, blackish blue, sky blue, black, golden. There are a few other variations on those. Yet they are considered th one species and not different sub-species.

Where a colour or pattern difference is accompanied by genetically seperate traits to the rest of the population, then subspecies status may well be warranted. Sorry I cannot help you beyond these general comments.

Blue
Another case in point is the Gammon Ranges python, distinct by colour and geographical location, yet not recognised as a separate subspecies.

Yes, that's my image. It has been verified by a number of individuals with extensive doreanus experience as being a juvenile of that species. Two other juveniles have been seen as well as at least three adults photographed (but try as I may I could not locate a copy of or the owner of the Lockhart river image :( ).

now just while we're on the subject of v indicus taxonomy, would anyone care to elaborate on the possible presence of v finschi on the mainland or torres strait islands?

now just while we're on the subject of v indicus taxonomy, would anyone care to elaborate on the possible presence of v finschi on the mainland or torres strait islands?

That one has be long declared as an erroneous sample and entry and the sample has long since been lost.

Ok this is the photo I tried posting before but it didn't work. I hope it works this time... As far as I know this is def not Dreanus.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 89
Apparently it is wild, I would link to the site but its against forum rules but here is another photo and unless this was a stage then it is def wild.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 92
hahahaha

- - - Updated - - -

you dont need to link me to the site i know the animal

Oh ok so not wild lol I'm curious though, are there natural occurring specimens such as this?

as far as i know not in aus, but danny seems to think so, so i could be wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back