Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2.3casper

Reaction score
Ok are there really axanthic jangles cuz when I look at picks they don't look black and white like the bhp .and is it true if you get one and breed it with a albino or a sunglow .you will get what's called a snow ? If any one know where I could get the best reading stuff on things like this plz add link for me thank you.oh oh yeh and if you have some crazy axanthic that, are black and white plz post pic thanks once again :lol:

Ok are there really axanthic jangles cuz when I look at picks they don't look black and white like the bhp .and is it true if you get one and breed it with a albino or a sunglow .you will get what's called a snow ? If any one know where I could get the best reading stuff on things like this plz add link for me thank you.oh oh yeh and if you have some crazy axanthic that, are black and white plz post pic thanks once again :lol:

Wow I'm guessing you didn't proof read before posting... Might I suggest gathering your thoughts and trying that again?

I've wondered the same thing. I love the look of black and white jungles, and I see it advertised in Julattens and axanthics but I'm still confused because some people talk about how "it will colour up nicely as it grows" while other say "they lose their colour and dull out as they age".
[MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION] can you help? I've always wondered what kind of snake the one in your avatar is, and if it's actually as blindingly white in person as it is in pics?

There is a difference between an axanthic and just plain black and white snake and the big one is mode of inheritance. I am not sure exactly how it works but I believe by breeding a snake you can tell the difference by how the genes are passed on. I have also seen a few anxanthics (Bhp) that have faded out and lost pattern a bit when the get older. As for my old avatar it is a diamond cross coastal carpet and it is just a black and white from the diamond python father in it and it was very hard to capture how bright the white is on camera but my old avatar was a pretty close representation. I am not sure that there are any proven axanthic jungles around but believe there are axanthic coastals.

So axanthic coastals are the way to go if you want a axanthic in a carpet

22650_216652907769_7835543_n.jpg
juvenile Jullatten

jungle.jpg
Adult, note there is still yellow pigment in the pattern, so not axanthic

[MENTION=6452]Vixen[/MENTION] may be able to shed some more light on axanthic carpets for you.

Axanthic is a lack of red pigment from memory. It does not lead to straight black and white snakes unless that's what the animal would look like if you took the red pigment out of the mix. It often leads to blueish/grey coloured snakes. I think Rodger has proven or is in the process of proving some axanthic jungles, probably check his website. Steve B. bred axanthic carpets about 6 or 7 years ago from memory, after which they were proved out by larks in SA.

Hi guys. Yes the Axanthic gene has been proven in Coastals. The first few popped up in a clutch that was a seemingly normal looking pair from Steve Brooks (used to be ponybug on here) He repeated the same pairing the following season and again a small portion of the clutch were an odd grey colouration.

Wayne Larks took up most of them and proved them to be a recessive gene, like Albino Darwins. He has probably done the most work with them in Australia, and has some fantastic looking animals including Ghosts (caramel axanthics) and I believe he also has at least one double het. for Snow pair (albino axanthic) near breeding age. The Snows will be darwin coastal crosses though, not pure.

It's a dom/recessive gene so can be proven by breeding animals and checking the mutation ratios that are produced. The look of an axanthic will change over time as the look of any snake will. Usually up until about 2 years old they can change quite drastically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back