Possible mites?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahJane

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

We've never had mites, but I occasionally work for someone that regularly has them in their collection, and so I'm a tad paranoid of infecting my collection too.

I've just got home from almost a month of holiday (my honeymoon, I don't make a habit of being away more than a week normally). My mum (who does NOT have reptiles) took care of the animals for me.

The animal I'm concerned about is a bearded dragon. I was getting ready to change his substrate today (I usually only do this once a month, spot cleaning everyday). When I noticed small critters crawling all over his head, when I looked closer they are everywhere in the cage, on furnishings, branches and as I dig through the substrate they can be seen throughout.

The critters range in size, so there are different life-stages, they jump! I tried to smear them, but I don't really see any blood. I can't find anything attached to the dragon, I checked his groin, ears eyes, armpits. I thought mites would be predominantly attached to the lizard not unlike a tick, but these things are just running about everywhere, and they're active despite the lights being on.

As I'm writing this now, I'm having doubts they are in fact mites which would be a huge relief. What do my fellow herpers have to say? Oh and, if you don't know anything about mites, please I don't need your opinion. Thanks

Sarah Jane

I thought that dragons did not get the same mites as snakes.

Boring topic I know, but I'm still concerned and would really appreciate some knowledgable advise. Many thanks.

oh dear, are they more brown than black? I think I have seen them before they didn't seem to do to much harm, but id treat them like mites any way any parasite in over load cant be good. good luck

They sound like springtails, they like moist environments similar to what mites like but don't feed off of other critters, they break down moulds and organic matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back