Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason people are wary of intergrades is because they think the seller may selling crosses instead of pure intergrades. I can't see how selling them as crosses would increase sales.

"The only reason people are wary of intergrades is because they think the seller may selling crosses instead of pure intergrades. I can't see how selling them as crosses would increase sales."

Because people are more open to crosses now than they were a couple of years ago.

They may be more open to them, but if you have two identical looking snakes and one is pure and one is cross, the pure snake is always going to be worth more. No one is going to pay more for a snake purely because it is a cross, but plenty of people (sure not everyone) but a lot would value a pure snake more.

People are just waiting for basic wow factor animals to drop in price, like the albino darwins. When you can get a bright yellow and white snake for low cost, why would you buy a stimi or a natural intergrade or any wow factor lacking snake. keepers are in no rush to make new purchases of anything. People want something new even if its labeled a 'jag sib' they have no idea they just want something that's 'new' or sounds new. People aren't more open to crosses they just think they are allowed to be, they can be told what to think, just like with everything in society. Proberly watch alot of tv too. They were not allowed to like them or own them (even tho they could and its not really anyone's business what you have in your home) before because the herd did not allow it.

My advice to anyone would be to not breed anything. Including your dogs, cats, fish, snakes or anything and don't even breed your self.

would they sell better if I added %0 possible albino !! ??
How can you rule out spontaneous mutations? Claiming it's 0% without evidence is misrepresentation.
Perhaps try an improbably small % chance of het for albino?

Good luck.

You're on the money there with the breeding statement [MENTION=40353]Gaboon[/MENTION], don't even get me started on the heartbreaking wastage of the horse industry...

Now back to snakes.. To me, there is no "wow factor" like a stunning red belly, a 'standard' BHP to me is breathtaking, and I'd take my 'average' Darwin over the most fashionable Jag on offer. I know others share this approach, and would pay good money for quality animals. However from what I've seen, it does seem like almost every reptile keeper 'has a go' at breeding, which makes you wonder where all the resulting animals end up.. If it is in the marketplace, then it makes sense that the general value is decreased, unless you are a breeder who is known for quality lines and can charge accordingly.

Good luck with the sale, I hope you find great homes for your hatchies [MENTION=19150]Norm[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12396]borntobnude[/MENTION] :)

Standard run of the mill snakes have always been harder to move. Why would someone buy average reptiles, just to produce more average reptiles that don't sell? And on the other hand if you only have room, time and money to feed a couple of reptile. Why would you buy average reptiles when for a few dollars more at the start you can keep high end animals. Quality animals sell for a good price and always will.

I manage a pet store that sells reptiles and it's incredibly frustrating for me to hear customers say "I am going to breed these in a few years and get my money back", I try to explain to them how normal Ball Pythons and Corn Snakes are now free to good home in the UK because every amateur breeder 'has a go' with no intent on breeding anything special. However explaining supply and demand doesn't seem to work, they just want to make a quick, easy dollar off breeding reptiles because they think it's some crazy niche that no one has thought of before. Little do they know that the market is already incredibly flooded with normal Childrens and Blonde Macs... There is just no reasoning with people who have had reptiles a week and think they are going to make a fortune off their new Childrens python...

I sell to a lot of first time reptile people that have no interest in breeding but just want a few pets.

Throw a few glam words in the add like rare , pure or extreme lol will sell them in no time

I hope people haven`t misinterpreted my posts in this thread as whinging because nobody wants to buy my snakes, that's not the case at all. I`ve simply used my situation as an example to get a point across.

Generally I feel there probably are too many snakes being bred, or rather theres an over supply at the moment, especially in "normal" or "wild" type snakes as demand is shifting to morphs, even amongst newer keepers.

Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to think quality and special markings/colour, are the same thing, and unless something is fluro reduced pattern zig zag rainbow lollipop, that is is poor quality. Of course all the new morphs and crosses are going to look really unusual compared to some of the more traditional specimens available, so the oldies become harder to move.

Every Tom Dick and his dog still wants to breed everything they have though, regardless of demand or if they have the resources to keep all the offspring if they don't move, so they flood the market with cheap deals.

People love to "rescue" things. Give your available snakes a sob story and they will fly out the window. :p

Instead of being the next big reptile breeder for a quick buck, Go into breeding rodents cause if the markets so flooded animals got to eat......
And i know i send a future on rodents :)
I have a few nice project but all wont be paired this season due to the supply and demand issue, plus i like to rest females after ever few clutches.
Those into for the quick buck never last long and those into it for the passion will keep ticking along.........

I purchased both my girls (woma & Pygmy ) from the expo because I want to see the animal that I'm buying and I like to meet and chat to the breeders.
Personally, I would not buy over the net.

Sales may be down on the average "garden " variety because people are waiting for something different to become available, eg/ those pied stimsons or some other X.
I hope that this wont happen like it has with other animals ie/ those mongrel dogs they call Designer Dogs.

I paid $400 for a wheaty around 4 months ago purely because the breeder and their animals had been so highly recommended. I think quality and reputation also plays a role, as i was willing to go on a waiting list and pay that amount when I could probably have hunted around a found a less experienced breeder and got it for half that

i think your going to hear a lot more sob stories "my snake escaped" but i cant really afford to keep it anyway,the bills are to too high..maybe the breeders should think about laying off for a season or two???? not saying this will happen,but the way things are going,it's a definate possibility,that's all

and it won't be just reptiles that "escape" "die" etc...... there will be a lot more dogs,cats,birds etc as ppl find they can't afford to have their animals,

just my own eg: we pay of a house,got the usual bills, have 13 birds,1 dog,12 snakes,so many mice(lol) own our own business.

we are having trouble paying the bills because the shop is only just making enough to pay house loan and 1 or 2 bills,we are behind in others,we haven't shopped for groceries in over 2 mths. but always scrape together enough to have the feed for the animals. i swap mice for rats for the bigger snakes.

Last edited:
Everyone wants something different (fair enough). Unfortnately many people get into this hobby simply for the 'wow cool you've got a pet snake, you're so ******' factor instead of the 'wow cool, check out that unique and interesting behaviour that my native Australian pet just displayed' factor. Nice colours make nice displays, and I'm as keen on that as the next kid, but if all people want is one nice display it means they're going to choose a single, top end animal. Only once people actually develop an interest in behaviours, ecology, etc etc (a more holistic approach) will they probably have an interest in wild type animals.

Just depends on what the flavour of the month is, I have some common species that I cannot keep up with the demand no matter how many I breed, but yet something comparably uncommon like a Painted Dragon I am struggling to move on, 3-4 years ago it would have easily been the other way around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back