Name suggestions for a National Reptile body

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacorin

Reaction score
As the title suggests,put your thinking caps on and come up with a name for a national reptile body.Give your heads a shake,tell your friends,get this idea out into the wider community.. get it out into the FB groups that we all belong to.Here are just a few

Australian Reptile Keepers Association (ARKA)

Australian Association of Reptile Keepers - AARK

National Austrlian Reptile Keepers Regulatory Body

I reckon ARKA is the best of those three, its nice and simple. Chuck the regulatory body one out the window it sounds too serious.

Why make a stupid post like that? Lol just keep quiet on the sidelines and join up when its up and running.

If people with kneejerk reactions like yours are members, then I shall refrain from joining up as will many others.
I was asking an honest question, that isn't a stupid one.
Check yourself.

If people with negative views like yours refrain from joining then I'm sure that wouldn't be a bad thing. As for your question thats kind of like asking if the chicken or the egg came first, pointless.

If people with negative views like yours refrain from joining then I'm sure that wouldn't be a bad thing. As for your question thats kind of like asking if the chicken or the egg came first, pointless.

I don't have a negative view, I asked a question.
Here's a few things to take into consideration when starting a representative body BEFORE even thinking of a name, and a few questions you should ask yourself...

Form an organizing committee or task force to determine interest: is there enough to get started? Is the interest local, regional, national, international? Is there a need for a "stand-alone" association or could the needs be better met by becoming a special interest group of an existing association with similar goals?

If you decide to move forward and organize an association:

1. Write preliminary vision and mission statements
    Include a section on why you are organizing the association; who should be a member of it; what services and benefits members will receive, etc. Carefully consider your value proposition -- what sets you apart from your competition; what makes your new association unique. Emphasize this.
  2. Determine the organizational structure: board, committees, chapters, etc.
  3. Determine the membership structure
    Who can be members? Do you have different member classifications; e.g., active, associate (for suppliers), student, etc.
  4. Determine the not-for-profit structure and file articles of incorporation and bylaws
    You should use an experienced association professional or attorney to draft articles, bylaws and incorporation papers.
  5. Develop a tentative budget and revenue sources
    Setting a dues level is difficult. Dues establish the perceived value of the organization. Don't set the dues too low, but setting it too high could discourage membership. One key factor to dues is whether it is being paid by the individual or the company.
    Dues account for about 42 percent of today's typical association. The remaining revenue comes from meetings and conventions, publications, contributions, suppliers, etc.
  6. Develop sound communications tools
    This can range from a printed or email newsletter to a simple website.
  7. Focus efforts on both member recruitment and retention
  8. Determine short and long-term plans for management of the association
    Volunteers (board & committee members) implement management functions (newsletters, programs, dues notices, etc.) of most start-up associations. Once the organization is running, volunteers normally hire staff to manage the association

And then perhaps discuss what the name should be, or you won't have a single member other than yourself.

And just to tell you, I'm all for a national organisation to represent us and join. All the talk on here lately has a whole lot of people jumping the gun and making the simplest of oversights.
Coming up with a name and starting a few web pages ain't gonna do jack, this requires professional attention, help and people to develop and get it going. Experience neither you, myself or most folks on this site have even a pinch of...

There's a difference between being honest and being negative, but I guess you missed that memo...

Why make a stupid post like that? Lol just keep quiet on the sidelines and join up when its up and running.

Its actually a legitimate question. Thats like asking for a fork without ordering your dinner first.
Why the need for the fork if you have nothing to eat?

From someone who does know what they're talking about...

Slow down Newhere. I appreciate your comment, but we are still 'lining up the ducks'. What we are doing here is laying out all the things that could come across the desk of a national body. By detailing it here for all to read them people will get a better idea of what is or is not good in their view. Once it has all been laid out, we go the next step - which include the web site which is being designed right now.

Jack wouldn't the association need a name to complete step four?

Kitten, you're out at dinner and you know you're having spaghetti - is there any real harm in asking for a for a fork before dinner? Slickturtle said the website is on the way and I'm sure he would appreciate a name to put on there don't you think?

Last edited:
It would, and there's a whoooooole lotta work to be done before you get to step 4.
Considering step one hasn't even been commenced yet...
Seriously. A name is the least important part of the process at this point in time.

Websites - good ones, don't pop up overnight. They take a good 6-12 months before being past beta form and fully operational. Of course I'm sure we'll all be taken seriously if someone just builds a Geocities site...

Last edited:
Jack wouldn't the association need a name to complete step four?

Kitten, you're out at dinner and you know you're having spaghetti - is there any real harm in asking for a for a fork before dinner? Slickturtle said the website is on the way and I'm sure he would appreciate a name to put on there don't you think?

Fair enough, but the steps that need to be completed before it gets to any particular naming level have you asking for a fork whilst making an enquiry with the restaurant 6mths before the booking.
Im sure slickturtle and the other major organisers will already have a name if its that much of an issue. Websites also have the ability to be altered. A domain name would be booked if the website is on the way so it would be linked to the name. Did you happen to ask him before posting this to see if it was needed?

Jack go read post #140 in the Australian Representative Herp Body thread and stop being negative, maybe this thread could become constructive and we could all come together to agree on something for once and show that we can unite when we have to. If you think its the wrong time thats cool just don't participate.

Jack go read post #140 in the Australian Representative Herp Body thread and stop being negative, maybe this thread could become constructive and we could all come together to agree on something for once and show that we can unite when we have to. If you think its the wrong time thats cool just don't participate.

Again. you're mixing up negativity with honesty.
Telling people not to participate is just the way to get all this going now isn't it!
I'm all for this, but discussing names at this early point is just plain silly. Lets at least have an official mission statement sorted out as a minimum before thinking of putting a name to it.

If you just want credit for something go paint a picture...

I didn't start this thread but I'd rather not see the idea shot down when gavin asked three days ago if anyone has any suggestions for a name.

I think if you want an "official" mission statement it would look a little more official with a name on it. Like I said we can wonder if the chicken or the egg came first or we can do our bit and think of a name like we were asked and help out.

Haphazzard Disassociation of Reptile Keepers and Flower Arrangers

This might help. From the 'national representative herp body' thread.

Maybe this is as good a time as any to ask what we should be called. Please come up with some names and acronyms that will identify and define who we are and what we do. I agree with Mat, we need to be looking forward and work as a team to achieve something. I know many of you will ask 'well what is that we will do?' and may need this answered before you can decide on a name. I would suggest that it is a body that will look at many aspects of the amateur reptile/herp hobby and try to give them all a voice at an Australia wide level when it comes to anything connected with them such as permits, conservation, keeping, advocacy at national level, research, pet industry, conduct and many other yet to be mentioned guiding topics. However, please dont get hung up on what it will or wont do right now, there is plenty of time to formulate a list and prioritise it. At his stage I think we just need a suitable name so we can put together a suitable and dedicated web site from which we can move toward these other attributes. If you have an idea and want it to remain confidential please PM me, but if you dont mind sharing then by all means come up with something and let us all see it. The whole idea is for US to have a voice and I tend to be a team player and want you all on that team so feel free to have a go. Cheers
Gavin

While Jacknife definitely has a point about it only being in the early stages and too early to be confirming a name, but I think allowing the broader herp community to have some input, even if it is over something simple like a name, is a great way to get started on the right foot. While it will be a while before a website is up and running it allows more people to add their input and hopefully gain some more interest.

The more people who are talking about it, the more likely it is to gain the support it needs.

This might help. From the 'national representative herp body' thread.

While Jacknife definitely has a point about it only being in the early stages and too early to be confirming a name, but I think allowing the broader herp community to have some input, even if it is over something simple like a name, is a great way to get started on the right foot. While it will be a while before a website is up and running it allows more people to add their input and hopefully gain some more interest.

The more people who are talking about it, the more likely it is to gain the support it needs.

I wholly agree, this is a good idea and something I would like to see happen. But perhaps input and decisions are best not necessarily being decided here also.
With only just on 50 or so active members here at any one point, and an estimated 60,000 keepers nationwide. It's a bit selfish and foolish to make decisions on behalf of everyone between just us here. Even things seemingly trivial as a name.(entirely not trivial, and therefore should be discussed in a broader forum to a wider audience)
That is my point of jumping the gun that Newhere doesn't seem to grasp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back