Heat Cord in Rack Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darwin

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Could anyone let me know of the correct distance between heat cord lines at the back of a rack setup?
For example is 8cm too big of a distance for a 12m 120w heat cord?

does closing the gap raise the temp over that spot but shorten the coverage of heat spreading over the tub?

thanks guys hope I can get some clarification on this

I've tested these a lot and 20mm is about as big a gap as u want and 2 runs is ample but on larger 40 lt tubs I run 3

Thanks mate for your reply.

so does it matter what wattage heat cord is used or a good rule of thumb is 20mm gap.

Silly question but does the closer the gap raise the temp and shorten the range?

regards

I used a 50mm gap with 2" aluminum tape over each run for my 20L tub rack, 100W heat cord. The hot spot inside the tub can reach a max of 35'C and is regulated to 32'C.
Personally I think a 20mm gap would make a narrow and very hot strip which would not utilize the cord's ability to heat a wider area.

It doesn’t really matter what the wattage is as far as temperature. They vary a bit but pretty much all have fairly similar heat output per unit of length. The higher wattage ones are just longer so you can do more or longer runs with them. As you suggested, the distance between runs make the biggest difference.
Yes a closer gap will give you a hotter spot over a smaller area.

Dean mentioned the adhesive aluminium tape - an excellent means of spreading the heat. I get mine from Jaycar, and you can order online.

Jamie

Thanks again guys

i previously routed the grove 8cm apart but I can easily add another one in to close the gap a bit. I have the tap but wasn't sure off I should cover the whole strip. I'll do it as mentioned.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 69
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back