Heated pond for varanus gouldii

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lambbosbread

Hey there so as my title says I'm looking at building a pond type thing inside my juvenile gouldii enclosure. I'm thinking around 700x700 box maybe 200 deep but with slate on one side so she can just chill if she doesn't wanna swim etc. I was wondering would a standard fish heater be sufficient for the water? And will 35c be warm enough cause that all the heaters seem to get to. I'd be building it in the corner so the top left would have like a slate basking spot that hangs over the water about and id hide the heater under there and surround with a mesh or protector so she couldn't get hurt, I'd just like to hear some feedback or any advise/do's or donuts. I have posted pictures of the enclosure in its early stages if you care to look on my page. She is only 6 months old. Everyday I fill a big container up with warm water and she bloody loves sitting in there and messing around . Thanks Ryan

Hi mate, based on my experience in keeping Sand Monitor's, they do not like to much water or high humidity in their enclosure, or you need to provide your Sand Monitor is a large kitty cat litter tray for use has a large water container, you don't need to keep the water container warm.

Make sure you spray the sand near the basking spot with water, so the sand is slightly damp, and spray your Sand Monitor whole body once a week, especially where you see loose skin and the toes so they will shed properly.

l don't know how much you know about Sand Monitor's, has you should know they are found in hot dry areas of Australian outback, where it is most of the time hot and dry except in the cooler months of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
V. gouldii is not an aquatic species of monitor and there will be no benefits to having such a set up for this animal, you are only creating problems by doing so.

I would ditch the idea completely and stick to a water bowl big enough for the monitor to sit in. This way you can easily clean and add fresh water daily.

Also from your post I am unsure if you are taking your monitor from its enclosure into a big container of warm water or if you are adding said container to the enclosure? Either way I would stop doing both of these. I am also curious as to how you know that your goanna is "enjoying it"?

I do not mean to come across as harsh but I think you need to spend some time properly researching the care and husbandry of the animal/s in your care, and preferably in future do so before buying new ones. Would also do so before wasting time/money on enclosures that are not appropriate for your animal (I was unable to see your photos you mentioned on your profile). This is what the responsible keeper does. There is nothing wrong with asking questions on the forum but that doesn't mean that one should rely on that and not do any research themselves. A quick forum search or even google would of been able to answer your question pretty quickly.

35 is too hot, my file snakes seem to be most active at 25C and even the pig nose turtles i wasnt housing at 35C, to be honest i wouldnt heat the water at all, i wouldnt even heat mertens water to that

Just so you know sand goannas are widely spread monitors, living in outback yes, but also grasslands and woodlands. So the lack of water thing yes is correct to 1/3 of the places.

this is correct they aren't aquatic species but that doesn't mean they dislike it.so you are saying can the idea but saying that I should have a tub that is big enough for her to be in.which is kind of the same as I was getting at only with the heating .35c is not hot for a monitor that loves basking temps of high 50s.No I'm not taking her from the enclosure I just fill up the container middays, I assumed she like it by watching her. She would go in there swim around and clean her self. I have done research and the research and the info I was given told me that monitors love cleaning themselves in water(which I noticed her doing).i have researched mate, she is a happy monitor.her temps are right her food is right, she is very active which shows that she is content .yer I understand that mate, but asking advice from multiple sources is the smartest thing and most responsible thing to do, I'd imagine that is what a responsible keeper does.yes I understand that they aren't a water monitor but that doesn't mean they don't enjoy it. Thats ike saying humans hate water cause we are land mammals.yes yes i know monitors and humans are differnt,but they still have a hyperthalamus and ita very big for there size.they still have basic emotions like pleasure anger etc.Look if she didnt like it i doubt she would go in swim around then stand up with her eyes closed if she hated it.They hardly eat mice and rats out there but people still feed them to them don't they. Most monitors out in the wild eat carrion and other reptiles with the occasional eggs.

thanks please don't take my long reply and how I have worded it rudely I appreciate the time you spent taking in replying to me ,but don't assume just cause I asked this question it means I'm not a responsible keeper.

Why did you ask the questions if you have all the answers, as you seem to have rejected everything that more experienced people, who know far more about monitors than you, have told you? Sand Monitors are dry country lizards 95% of the time, despite the strange geographical statistics you have "researched." You asked a question and got some very good, accurate and useful advice. Your response will probably ensure that nobody bothers to respond to any other questions you may ask.

Jamie

Why did you ask the questions if you have all the answers,

Unfortunately Jamie some people just want justification from others for their ideas and are not willing to actually learn and listen if they are told otherwise.

My reply was brief but to the point that you should not implement this to your enclosure. IMO if you have to ask whether your animal's water needs to be heated after you have acquired it then that tells me you have not sufficiently researched the husbandry requirements.

By your reply it looks like you need specifics as to why I and the other posters think this is a bad idea.

so you are saying can the idea but saying that I should have a tub that is big enough for her to be in.which is kind of the same as I was getting at only with the heating .35c is not hot for a monitor that loves basking temps of high 50s.

By having the heater in your water source you are creating unnecessary problems and not gaining anything by doing so.

Heating the water will
-Increase humidity in the enclosure (not ideal).
-Promote bacterial and algae growth.
-Aquarium heaters can fail and stay on making the temperature much hotter.
-IMO make cleaning of the water source impractical when it should be a quick take out, f10, rinse, refill of fresh water. You will have to unplug and remove the cord with tub from the enclosure everyday to clean it properly.

Me pointing out that V. gouldii is not an aquatic species is to help outline that providing a large heated water source is not a priority or something you should do at all. It's like providing a knob tailed gecko with a tall arboreal enclosure with climbing branches - you just wouldn't do it.

Also just because monitors do bask at higher temperatures does not mean that keeping the water at 35c is safe. I can not think of any reptile where you would keep the water that hot.

The water source in your enclosure should be a bowl that you can take out and clean easily, be big enough for your animal to sit in and be placed in the cool end of the enclosure.

I am sure your monitor will enjoy a nice clean water bowl with fresh water everyday without it being heated so why make things more complicated and possibly create more problems?

No I'm not taking her from the enclosure I just fill up the container middays,

It is good you clarified that as your original post was unclear hence why I asked. As I mentioned in your other thread about handling it is best to leave them be in their enclosure.

.i have researched mate, she is a happy monitor.her temps are right her food is right,

If your basking temps are good and you have a good thermal gradient within the enclosure then why do you think heating the water is a good idea?

yes I understand that they aren't a water monitor but that doesn't mean they don't enjoy it. Thats ike saying humans hate water cause we are land mammals.yes yes i know monitors and humans are differnt,but they still have a hyperthalamus and ita very big for there size.they still have basic emotions like pleasure anger etc.Look if she didnt like it i doubt she would go in swim around then stand up with her eyes closed if she hated it.They hardly eat mice and rats out there but people still feed them to them don't they. Most monitors out in the wild eat carrion and other reptiles with the occasional eggs.

I never said that monitors can not enjoy the water, nor did I say to remove your water source from the enclosure. I simply have said that heating it is redundant and will only cause problems. I am unsure as to why you have brought up diet into this discussion, it is irrelevant - we feed our monitors whole prey items and try to add what variety we can whilst supplementing vitamin d3, uv light etc. People have been keeping monitors this way for a long time with success - can't say the same for heated water sources for non-aquatic reptiles to my knowledge.

Disregarding the replies that have been made to your thread in an effort to help you shows that all you want is for people to tell you what you want to hear so you can make your goanna hot tub and think that you are practicing good husbandry.

No that's not at all true, I asked because I wanted your advice. I did my research and asked the guy I bought her from and he said it is an ok idea as long as I make sure it's cleaned and properly maintained. You are taking my post wrongly, I don't have all the answers but things I have read made me think it could be an idea.i wasn't trying to be rude to any1.ill end this discussion, I'm sorry if I came of rude it wasn't my intention and I will take your advice and stick with the normal water container.thanks

if your enclosure is designed right to disperse excess humidity and moisture build up its not a bad idea at all, 35C is, its too hot for a water body regardless of whether they bask at 60-70 degrees or not. it will be fine unheated

Ok thanks. I honest to god didnt think 35 was that hot when you touch it.it feels like lukewarm water.but regardless I'll can the heater and just make a corner pool without the heater and just make it look good . So not just a container. I was thinking of getting a wet and dry vac for the water removal and all the mess. Reckon I should or just stick to pulling it out and cleaning

if your set on making a water pool for it then I would make it easy to drain maybe with a large ball type valve ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back