Do healthy rats sometimes defecate when killed humanely?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerlily

Reaction score
Just wondering, because my new supplier said he uses CO2 which I understand is the most humane/widely used method - it's just that the fuzzy rat I'm defrosting now has some poo (looks like normal healthy rat poo) stuck to him. It was easily plucked off with some tissue.

Is this just a natural process that happens sometimes? When I had snakes in the past I fed adult mice to them for years; I never knew the method of killing but they always looked so well kept, perfect, no smell, not a single fur out of place - they literally looked just like they were sleeping and still alive. With this supplier I noticed a strange smell with pinkie mice (although the forum assured me it's not to worry about) and I've never had any stuck feces on mice/rats before so I'm just wondering if I should be concerned.

I want to:

a. know for sure the rat was killed humanely
b. know that it was kept in good conditions so it doesn't have any diseases

I'm just being paranoid.... right?

Quite normal for mammals to empty their bowels upon death.

When they die their muscles relax and the lose control of their bodily functions the same as with humans it is quite normal, I've witnessed it in humans and rats as i use to breed my own rats and I also use to work in a nursing home as a carrer

I knew it happens when humans die from hanging, but I didn't know it happens from "natural" (peaceful) death as well.

Thanks everyone, and dang I gotta to go watch that episode now... hoping it involves Mr Hanky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back