Mircroclimate B1 Problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silatman

Reaction score
Had some issues with our python the other day and needed to get a UVB light on her quick (she was showing signs of MBD, totally unexpected as she has been very healthy for years) so pulled out her IR 100W globe and screwed in a UVA/B 100W combo globe. This immediately went bright as then blew (maybe in 2 seconds, luckily I had bought two!) As this was plugged in to the B1 thermo it blew the fuse out in the unit too. I bought a new fuse today, put the IR globe back in and plugged it all back in. Globe lit up and all seemed fine.
Problem is the globe isn't dimming anymore, the yellow LED has gone off as expected when it reached the preset temp but the globe is still at peak output.

I have built another globe set-up for the UVB light and have that on a straight timer switch so that issue is sorted (I hope) but cant work out why after 3 years of faultless service the B1 unit isn't working when the LED's tell me it is.

Any help appreciated and I hope you understand my explaination.

99% probability that the triac is gone in it. It's about $2.50 to replace if you can solder.

Just out of curiosity on the rest of your post, why do you think it has MBD? I don't know that MBD occurs very often if ever in pythons, especially if they are getting whole prey items. Thousands of keepers keep pythons with no UV with no issues

99% probability that the triac is gone in it. It's about $2.50 to replace if you can solder.

Just out of curiosity on the rest of your post, why do you think it has MBD? I don't know that MBD occurs very often if ever in pythons, especially if they are getting whole prey items. Thousands of keepers keep pythons with no UV with no issues
$3.20 from jay car from the other week. Also what sort of python needs UV?

Was the UVA/B globe also a heat globe? I yes then I am assuming it was a MVB - these cannot be used successfully with a thermostat and may have been why it blew so quickly.

Sounds more like a problem with the bulb rather than the thermostat.

Don't need UV for pythons..............Jury still out on Diamonds but no evidence to support that it is needed at all. Would like to know if this was just a wild thought or if this was advice from somewhere.

Alrighty, knew the MBD would attract some attention.
It is a SW carpet and we have had her since she was a hatchy.
She has always been rodent fed and has never had any issues other than a prolapse when she was a baby.

We took her out for her usual toilet break and she was having spasms along her entire body and looked disinterested (you know your animal and she wasn't the same) We were very concerned and came to the APS site and started to type in different searches looking for something that might describe what we were seeing.
We found the MBD references and even though all evidence shows that pythons don't need UVB it was all we had and it was worth the chance as we couldn't (either booked out or simply not interested) get into see a vet for a few days and having the light on her certainly wasn't going to hurt her. So one quick trip down to the pet store and I had a UVA/B globe. Is was 4.30pm on a Saturday when we took her out so time was against me.
After blowing the first globe I ran the light directly to mains power and put the second globe on her and after a few hours there was a distinct improvement of her condition. I kept the light on her for a full 24hours then turned it off and her twitching started again within minutes. We then ran the light for 3 full days before turning it off and installing a stand alone UVB light as well as the IR that she had had since we built her the "5 star enclosure".
She has definately had a major reduction of twitching and muscle spasms since we have had her under UVB so whether pythons get MBD, I'm not saying yes but I'm certainly not saying no, all I can tell you is what we have seen and done and what the results have been. I'll leave the arguing to people who know a hell of a lot more about reptiles than I.

I was under the impression that UVA light is the heat that IR produce and the UVB is the "daylight" component too answer your question Flaviruthless, but once again I will leave that up to people who know more than me.

Can someone describe what this Triac thing is for me as I'm more than happy to resolder components.

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Why would you think its a bulb issue? I would've thought that the bulb would either work or not?
Mercury vapour bulbs can not be dimmed.

- - - Updated - - -

Alrighty, knew the MBD would attract some attention.
It is a SW carpet and we have had her since she was a hatchy.
She has always been rodent fed and has never had any issues other than a prolapse when she was a baby.

We took her out for her usual toilet break and she was having spasms along her entire body and looked disinterested (you know your animal and she wasn't the same) We were very concerned and came to the APS site and started to type in different searches looking for something that might describe what we were seeing.
We found the MBD references and even though all evidence shows that pythons don't need UVB it was all we had and it was worth the chance as we couldn't (either booked out or simply not interested) get into see a vet for a few days and having the light on her certainly wasn't going to hurt her. So one quick trip down to the pet store and I had a UVA/B globe. Is was 4.30pm on a Saturday when we took her out so time was against me.
After blowing the first globe I ran the light directly to mains power and put the second globe on her and after a few hours there was a distinct improvement of her condition. I kept the light on her for a full 24hours then turned it off and her twitching started again within minutes. We then ran the light for 3 full days before turning it off and installing a stand alone UVB light as well as the IR that she had had since we built her the "5 star enclosure".
She has definately had a major reduction of twitching and muscle spasms since we have had her under UVB so whether pythons get MBD, I'm not saying yes but I'm certainly not saying no, all I can tell you is what we have seen and done and what the results have been. I'll leave the arguing to people who know a hell of a lot more about reptiles than I.

I was under the impression that UVA light is the heat that IR produce and the UVB is the "daylight" component too answer your question Flaviruthless, but once again I will leave that up to people who know more than me.

Can someone describe what this Triac thing is for me as I'm more than happy to resolder components.

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.
This is a link to the part but you will need a good soldering iron that is made for working on electronics.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZX7149

Thanks for the link mate.

I have put the original IR bulb back in and that is the one that isn't dimming anymore. I have even tried a smaller 75W IR globe that I had and that won't dim either so it must be a problem with the thermostat.

Even though having the UVB globe on our SWCP seems to be working to stop the twitches, can anyone offer any other suggestions as to what could be causing the spasms?
Just want my baby well again.

I had a coastal that was suffering from neurological poisoning from a crook liver and displayed all the symptoms you have described. Maybe try a blood test to see what that could present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back