How Do I Weigh My Jungle Carpet Python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amynickid

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Okay so he is past the stage of being able to fit into a measuring jug and weigh him with kitchen scales. He's about 1.5 mtrs long and was born on the 22.1.13. So he is almost a year and a half basically. How the hell do i weigh something that big?

Or try to find some luggage scales. If you look around you can probably pick them up for $10 - 15.

Stand on your bathroom scales without the snakes. Then weigh yourself again holding the snake.

Snake in pillow case + tub + kitchen scales, then deduct the weight of the pillow case and tub.

Snake in pillow case + tub + kitchen scales, then deduct the weight of the pillow case and tub.

Ok so my jungle was born 06.01.13 and still gets weighed this way. In fact, so does my woma of the same age and 3.5yo jungle.
[MENTION=38711]Amynickid[/MENTION] how much does your jungle weigh???

I pillow case them and put them on the scales and take away the amount of the pillow case.
If you don't want to spend any money on scales, making a trip to the vet and using theirs works as well, it's free and they're usually pretty accurate.

Im not sure how much he weighs... due to the fact i cat weigh him properly.. haha

Have you not attempted or even read any of the suggestions made? It doesn't make sense to say you can't weigh him properly.

Do you think members reply for your benefit or their own?

I have only had a chance to reply once, if you were paying attention you would see that. I am going to put him in a pillow case and try. Have you tried taking into consideration other peoples lives. I am not stupid. I obviously hadnt had a chance to do the pillow thing as i didnt have time or money tp get bigger scaless. You don't have to be a....

- - - Updated - - -

He weighs 1.15kg. And he is roughly metres long

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

He weighs 1.15kg. And he is roughly metres long

in reference to your other thread a male this size can breed fine. If you wait untill next year to get a female he will certainly have enough size considering how much he has grown. Its alot more important making sure your females are in condition. female jungles will breed at 1.2kgs but the more weight the easier it will be for them to produce a bigger clutch and put their weight back on the next season.
-Liam

Wow really, hes only a year and a half old though? and i meant 1.5 metres long

- - - Updated - - -

I did not think he would be sexually mature yet
I want a female for him. looking around. Can a male and female jungle be housed together. or just for breeding. a few of my friends house theirs together.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the text talk :L

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the text talk :L

Snake in pillow case + tub + kitchen gram scales(got my at dicksmiths), then take away the weight of the pillow case and tub.

that's a big bloody jungle for its age, my year and half olive is only about 40cms larger, although about twice the weight.

Yeah, hes doing good, would you say he is underweight? I have 4 more small adult rats left then i will be upping them to medium adult rats. I usually give him one rat a week, occasionally i give him two. [MENTION=35694]hayden123113[/MENTION]

- - - Updated - - -

underweight for his size?

- - - Updated - - -

he has a smallish head also. incfeasing food size gradually cos i want his head to bulk up

[MENTION=38711]Amynickid[/MENTION] sounds like you've power fed (read over fed) him. Small head indicates that.

My jungle is just over 2yrs (01/12) and would be about 1.6m. Yours definately sounds like hes powering along, do you know what locale he is at all?

The head will fill out as it ages, the whole "small head vs body size" thing is a strange one. My jungle was eating one rat fortnightly (decent feed) and still his head has stayed small, in no way was he overfed or powerfed yet still retains a small head. Mine is a b&g jungle that should stop of just about finished growing in length.

Rick

The pin head thing is a myth.

Older animals in our wild populations tend to have larger heads than older captive animals due to being opportunistic feeders and consuming larger prey items. Their heads stretch more and the muscles build up. In captivity we tend to feed smaller, more regular meals.

The scales in coles work well lol no one will notice if u sneak him in discreetly

- - - Updated - - -

Redfox....that makes sense! Ive always wondered about the pinhead thing.

i know the small head things a myth, and i know about the whole power feeding,i have not power fed him, and mine is a palmerston jungle. a black and gold jungle only refers to its colour not its local man. hes on small adult rats. and he is fed once a week. there is no power feeding here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back