Just got 3 new baby black soil dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 16446

Reaction score
I've read the care sheets and have the food, equipment/enclosure set up etc but was wondering if other owners have some hints or suggestions they think I could find useful. Also if anyone would like to post pics of their enclosure setups, this would be handy and appreciated.

These are my first dragons after 6 years of python keeping.

Welcome to the world of dragons! We only keep central beardies ourselves, but pretty much same sort of care. Other beardies have to be separated from a young age, due to dominance issues and fighting, but not sure if pygmies are the same.

Pygmies are a little more tollerant of each other but, having said that, be prepared to seperate them if things turn nasty. The only thing I do different with the Pygmies is mist them in the afternoon as well as morning for hydration purposes. I hate water bowls as it increases the humidity too much and constant humidity will cause issues with your dragons down the track. Of course, this is just my opinion, it works for me.

Thanks to those who have responded so far. Finally got some photos to share.....

2014-06-02 15.13.53.jpg2014-06-02 15.18.31.jpg

They've now got a small heat mat under the sand under the log they're on which is on 24/7 and an extra hide in the back corner.

Looking at your second photo, it looks like you've got a ceramic heat emitter. All beardies fare much better with a basking globe (75w or 100w spotties from Bunnings are fine). They look very cute.

Looking at your second photo, it looks like you've got a ceramic heat emitter. All beardies fare much better with a basking globe (75w or 100w spotties from Bunnings are fine). They look very cute.

I'll look into those globes next time I'm there. Cheers.

Actually I used the ceramic emitter because it's on a dual night/day thermostat so it provides reduced heat at night without the light.

Hey mate you'll enjoy the dragons. We have two centrals which always give us a giggle with their personalities. I normally find the heat lamps are enough for them and see no need for the heat mat. We give ours baths regularly just to help with hydration and get some movement happening to help poo at times. Good luck with the dragons mate, they look cute as.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I'll look into those globes next time I'm there. Cheers.

Actually I used the ceramic emitter because it's on a dual night/day thermostat so it provides reduced heat at night without the light.

Using it for night time heat isn't a bad idea while they are little, but you'll find they are more active and eat better if you give them a basking light during the day. If it's too tricky to keep both, then maybe the heat mat isn't a bad idea during the night.

this is my pygmy hotel,I have 4 pygmies in this with removable dividers to keep them separate till mating season.View attachment 310380
actually this is the wrong pic showing the bottom floor of pygmy hotel and basement with bluey,but I can't get delete this but you get the idea.
There is no need for night heat except in winter for the first year,after that they need no night heat especially in Sydney.

Last edited:
they are lovely animals congratulations. Just keep them smashing food dusted in calcium and vitamin powder. Also black soil dragons can be tricky to get into eating salads as opposed to centrals who eat anything. Also i wouldn't mist the dragons but every day i would just stir up the water in the water bowl and the dragons will drink. They won't drink on their own coz no movement to stimulate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back