show us your silk backs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noved

Reaction score
image.jpgimage.jpgi know there not everyone cup of tea and that's cool with me ,a difference of opinion is what makes us who we are,but don't hate for lack of information or miss guided information...

- - - Updated - - -

and another

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 295
Wow they are kinda freaky looking. Nice colors though....

They look so weird without their spikes or anything....
I dunno they kinda remind me of grumpy old men rofl
o.o

Totally respect a difference of opinion but don't hate because of miss information there skin is tougher than what you might think and feel a bit like a leather couch,I have kept mine in outdoor enclosures from the day they hatched which they share with normal dragons,,,they do occur naturally in the wild but when you consider that from a clutch of Dragon eggs in the wild maybe one or two will make it to adulthood and if you stand out this much you don't stand a chance...

do these guys have many problems with shedding ect? any other health issues?

Shedding may cause some issues when young as it is a little elastic and dosnt always break away especially around the tail and when it dries it shrinks and can cause some circulation issues .....however this can be totally avoided by using some moo goo about once a week it is a moisturiser for people sold at most pharmacies for around $13 a tube which last 20 odd silkies for nearly 3 months I have used this from day one and not had issues now they are older I only use it fortnightly or when needed but now it's more cosmetic as they do look ugly when shedding ....I don't know how the females would stand up to the rigours of mating as we know they can be quite brutal but they are quite tuff ,like I mentioned earlier I keep them in outdoor mesh enclosures with other normal dragons without any tearing or scratching issues..

- - - Updated - - -

this one is not in full shed but it gives you some idea,i will get pics when the next one is in full shed..

- - - Updated - - -

just a couple of days old and you can see how much they change..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Quick question: how do we get silkbacks in Australia without importing? Is it just a very slow process of selective breeding with dragons who have more and more reduced scales??

I think originally overseas they came from a random genetic mutation. However as erupted in Australia simultaneously with translucent and hypos it would be pretty naive to believe they weren't smuggled in.

If you google bearded dragon mutations you will find a lot of info on how they occur but basically there are two different modes of genetic mutation from which they can occur on is recessive but the animals are week .
the other form is co dominant which occurs when you cross two leatherbacks together resulting in much stronger healthier animals.

- - - Updated - - -

While I am sure we have had some f these new phases and mutations smuggled back into Australia you would be foolish not to believe that they could and do occur naturally here..
they occurred internationally first simply because they have a much smaller gene pool to start with and a lot of breeders not afraid to line breed
But once more of our breeders have a better understanding of genetics with our much larger gene pool It's only a matter of time before we see new morphs and phases popping up here in Australia before they do internationally ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back