Air freight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beans

I can't find anything on the quantas site or the DEPI site about how a snake is meant to be packed.

I don't want to pack her wrongly then get there and have to pay more money to have it re done.
Not sure if an insulated box will be fine or if I need an approved method. Going to call them tomorrow but thought I would ask anyway.

Going to Brisbane from Melbourne

Last edited by a moderator:
Post #38 on https://aussiepythons.com/forum/gen.../sydney-aae-freight-regulations-157596/page/3 has some suggestions, although the link doesn't work.

From what I could determine from the Qantas website, the service you would need is Q-GO Animals and this is what they say about container requirements:

"The animal container is the responsibility of the freight forwarder or shipper and must comply with IATA animal construction, ventilation, safety and animal health and welfare requirements."

I'm in the process of sourcing copies of the relevant documents that don't require payment...

Why does it have to be so frigging complicated -_-

Would be so much easier if I could drive there or have someone drive. Maybe not cheaper... lol

Why does it have to be so frigging complicated -_-

Would be so much easier if I could drive there or have someone drive. Maybe not cheaper... lol

its not complicated u can put it in a pillow case or something similar it can breathe in then just put in a plastic tub with holes in and secure the lid. I got 3 baby mertens shipped from cairns to melb and when I got there to pick them up they handed me a tube that you put a bottle of chivas regal whisky in with holes cut in it.so ghere not to fussy.

I don't know the specifications, but I recently received a little guy through freight from a well know Australia wide breeder so hopefully they are right because I can imagine they do it often. So I'll explain how he was packaged and hopefully that helps...
The snake was first in a pillow slip tied at the top, then he was in a foam box that when he coiled he was about a cm or so from the sides, the box was filled with shredded paper and had some air holes made in the sides. Then that box was inside an animal carrying cardboard box that it slotted into nice and snug. This had air holes with meshing over then and caution: live animal written on the outside.
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we received our Darwin hatchies from Queensland, they were packed into separate calico bags, and then in a plastic tool box with plenty of ventilation. The Qantas Freight people simply handed it over without comment. The pair arrived safe and sound here in Adelaide.

Pillow cases turned inside out in an appropriately sized tub with holes in it. Plenty of tape and a couple of cable ties to hold it closed. They put labels on them before freight so not really needed.

Just use a pillow case or calico bag, place the snake in and tie it up securely. Then use a secure and sturdy box. I use the $4 plastic bunnings toolboxes for hatchies. They aren't transparent which keeps the staff happy. Place some shredded paper in there with the bagged snake. Then a couple of cable ties and packaging tape for added security. I usually don't worry about ventilation holes the holes made for the cable ties are usually enough. Also just pick the days you send, ie not during a heatwave, though this time of year shouldn't be an issue.

If you are sending from Vic you are meant to include sender and receiver details along with species on the box, however they often cover this with their own tracking stickers.

I post insects from Qld to down south. Aust Post guarantee next day delivery within the network area for Express Post items. Next day delivery used to be the case till a couple of months ago. When you are sending live animals or anything live you want the transit time as short as possible.
At Brisbane Airport if they identify a parcel containing anything live it has to go on the Early Flight. If it arrives at the Airport too late it is held overnight till the next Early Flight next day. It doesn't matter what time of day you post from suburbs of Brisbane they will never make the early flight that day. Therefore the parcels are always a day or more late.

So when posting from Queensland check with your Post Office as to what time your parcel is likely to reach the airport. The last thing you want is your live creatures sitting any longer than they have to and watch out for delays over a weekend.

Technically in terms of live animals Australia Post only accepts bee's leeches and silkworms. Certainly not live reptiles.

Mmmm aus post lost my partners birth certificate for about a week. I don't really trust them anymore rofl

Honestly I'm likely just over thinking it. I will probably put her in a small bag, inside a Styrofoam box and tape it up with the live harmless reptile written on the top.;
I just want her to be as comfortable as possible because I have to travel almost 2 hours by train and bus before I even get to the airport

The box should be crush resistant which styro foam is not very. Assume the package is going to be passed along the football front line so the bag inside needs to be cushioned with a bit of packing inside the box.

A while ago I received a click clack style container which was badly cracked and looked like it had been treated pretty roughly. Luckily the animals were alright but it really put me off plastic.

Wooden boxes are good. Put the animal in a bag with shredded newspaper around it.
tubabysy.jpg

A hard plastic 6 pack esky with a few holes drilled in it is one of the best things you can use, around 10-15 bucks from the warehouse or rays outdoors etc.....I'm 95 kg's and can stand on one without it crushing, also very shatter/crack resistant if dropped, you can't say the same for a plastic container or foam box......you've also got got the added advantage of it being insulated....

- - - Updated - - -

Should also add it is a good idea to line the box with shredded newspaper or foam packing beads for extra shock absorption and insulation...and of coarse secure the animal in a cloth bag inside the box. tape the box up well too, I also screw the lid down when possible....

Yeah shes not very big at all, I don't want to put her in something really big if I can avoid it cause it will get pricey.If I did the small esky idea would I need to put holes in or would it be okay as is?

Absolutely yes drill holes in the container.......don't drill holes in the lid incase the package is left in the rain.
I drill 3-4 holes in each side strategically placed in position where they won't be covered by tape.
I also drill a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage as a precaution just incase water enters the container somehow.

Hmm. Alright I'll try and find a small esky. Put some holes in then tape it closed with correct signage on the lid. Thanks guys.

What if they tell me an esky isn't good enough? I have it set in my mind that they are going to be super picky and if shes packed wrong then take her off me or something. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back