Show us your frilled dragons!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was going to start my own thread but will rather add to this one. At the start of the year I got some frills and they are the best dragon I have kept by far. More than 10 little frills and 3 localities later its an understatement to say I'm hooked! Here are a few quick snaps.

Very nice... What localities do you keep...

first pic is central qld, next 2 are north qld and final 2 are kimberly wa.

Are they the East Kimberly ones or the South-western ones?
I just brought an adult WC pair of the South-westerns ones, there frillies are mostly red no orange or yellow and they seem much smaller form than those further east.

What size enclosure do you guys recommend for an adult?
The Keeping and Breeding aus lizards recommends 120cm high and 200cmx60cm for an adult pair. Although in the USA single adults are regularly kept then in 120x90x90 or even 120x90x60. Although over there they have them much like beardies constantly handling them and have them out on shoulders around the house.

- - - Updated - - -

Are they the East Kimberly ones or the South-western ones?
I just brought an adult WC pair of the South-westerns ones, there frillies are mostly red no orange or yellow and they seem much smaller form than those further east.

Not entirely sure which region from Kimberly they are unfortunately. I did get just under half the clutch (of 17 eggs) and there is a bit of variation amongst my lot. Some are just red and clean white underneath wheres others are red and bright yellow. Will be interesting to see how they turn out.

About 1/3 of the NQ animals I have are a light pink under the frill. However the rest of the clutch I have is a mix of orange and yellow. The heads on the NQ animals are larger/longer then the WA ones of similar size which I thought is counter intuitive since the NT ones have massive heads and wa being closer to NT.

How do you find the WC pair in respect feeding and handling? Any problems with sulking?

The Keeping and Breeding aus lizards recommends 120cm high and 200cmx60cm for an adult pair. Although in the USA single adults are regularly kept then in 120x90x90 or even 120x90x60. Although over there they have them much like beardies constantly handling them and have them out on shoulders around the house.

Thanks. I'm designing an enclosure for my Bearded & because she's getting on I thought I'd try to produce one suitable for a Frilly for future use.

Most of the ones kept in the USA are not aussies, aussie frillys are about 150-300mm longer then most of the island species thus they need larger enclosures. A suitable sized enclosure would be a custom 2.5x1x2m (2m high), these guys arent small lizards and do well in decent sized enclosures.

Rick

Most of the ones kept in the USA are not aussies, aussie frillys are about 150-300mm longer then most of the island species thus they need larger enclosures. A suitable sized enclosure would be a custom 2.5x1x2m (2m high), these guys arent small lizards and do well in decent sized enclosures.

This is a much better size. Or bigger! 1m high is just not tall enough for frillies. The need tall, vertical branches to climb on. They also need to be kept up high, so make sure your enclosure is on a high stand. The top should be well above head height so they feel secure.

They also benefit from running around so if possible, let them run around your floor (pet free of course). One of the funniest things is to roll a grape away from them & watch them run after it haha ;)

u8yhupep.jpg

My NT Frillnecks new home...
ugydaraz.jpg

upuvuser.jpg

Custom made background from Newellistic Reptile Displays...

very nice display & a great "tree" for them to climb.

Couldn't see a water bowl though. Don't forget to spray them with a mister, they adore that ;)

very nice display & a great "tree" for them to climb.

Couldn't see a water bowl though. Don't forget to spray them with a mister, they adore that ;)

Thx... They've got a nice big corner water bowl & I spray weekly... The Female will drink from a tap, drink from an eye dropper & drink from the water bowl but will go nuts as soon as you put the spray bottle anywhere near her... Ha ha she's not a fan & will frill up & hiss & tail whip...

yea I was just playin around [MENTION=36834]DeadlyDanny80[/MENTION] im just jealous, the only reptile I won is a stimmsons python which is beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back