how much do you handle or spend time with your reptiles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got mainly monitors so I should be off the hook although ive probably got 3 or 4 that if I put my arm in they climb on and I let them have a walk around the house.

I handle my darwin every few days. I don't like to just forget about her and leave her there. Even if it is only for 10 mins or so I like to interact with her and do a health check etc while I'm at it

As soon as they get active after a feed I open the vivs and let them go for it

Only one in the lounge that isnt out much is the king cobra
It needs a bit of supervision

The others intermingle and wander around as they see fit

yea I get my coastal and albino out on usually a daily basis or every 2 days! but I haven't ever taken them outside and let them roam I guess! cause I don't really know if I show! my coastal is about 1metre long and my albino is about 50cm. so is it ok to let them go on the ground t this size and can you let them I trees because I fear if I do I won't be able to get them out!

There's so much debate about how often to handle hatchling pythons. Some say don't handle them at all, some say once a week for an hour, some say once a day for 15 or 30 minutes. So when I get my hatchling, I have no idea how often to hand her. It's so confusing!

I say that hold it for how ever long you feel! when you first get it let it settle in for a week (this is wht the breeder told me) then once a day for 5mins. but it is important to hold them when they are young so they get used to being handled and don't have a go at you when they are big! that's what my breeder told me!

My older pythons pretty much only get handled when cleaning enclosures, but occasionally I'll get them out for a walk(around the house) or a slide about the couch perhaps once every couple of weeks.
I've just acquired an Albino Darwin and I have it out for about 15 minutes a week to get used to handling, only about 6 months old so still a bit nippy, but getting better :)

I normally get my big female BHP out about five days after she's eaten, then I take her for a stroll on the grass near the beach opposite my house. I let her wander around until she lifts her tail and gets rid of her excess waste, then I'll pick her up and handle her for maybe ten minutes before she goes back in her enclosure. My yearling albino DCP I try and get out more frequently so he remains placid and used to being handled. He was a bit bitey when we first got him, but after giving him several months of not being disturbed apart from feeds and cleaning, he has settled down beautifully. Apart from that they stay in their enclosures and we just enjoy watching them do what snakes do! Eve, the BHP is so docile I let her curl up with me when watching TV but last time I did that she left a great dane sized pooh on the lounge - and my better half was certainly unimpressed!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back