Snake bite?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardener

Reaction score
Hi,
Recently I was bitten by something while gardening at my house in Garden Suburb, Newcastle. I didn't feel it happen, but it began to throb within hours and it bruised heavily. The puncture marks were just under 2cm apart, pin size and were hard and sore to touch. I had a blood test to check and there was no venom and no-one could tell me what type of snake it was, if it was a snake at all.
Snakes we have seen in our street are red belly, whip snake and green snake.
Can anyone offer an educated guess?

Attachments

• WP_20140505_008.jpg
    WP_20140505_008.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 209
Not a snake, otherwise you'd see more teeth marks. I'd hazard a guess at a large local spider species or centipede, venomous though for certain.

Ow nasty!

Could it have been something that's just bitten / stung you twice? Perhaps there was an angry wasp or something in there and got a bit cranky.

I am no expert, but I would say 2cm apart would be too greater distance to be a spider or centipede bite.

Newcastle is too far south for giant centipedes also, could be a spider of some description, though 2cm is quite a distance for fangs of any species I can think of on the central coast...

Newcastle is too far south for giant centipedes

WHAT THE??!! Try "Atlas of Living Australia" under "Giant Centipede" for starters.

Unless you're into a bull ant nest?...and you have an unknown allergy to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
though not my first reaction, possibly stung twice seems to make sense based on the other's summaries of the range of giant centipedes and spiders in the area.
yowzers though! glad you're OK

WHAT THE??!! Try "Atlas of Living Australia" under "Giant Centipede" for starters.

Unless you're into a bull ant nest?...and you have an unknown allergy to them.

Lols, I was thinking of something entirely different from Ethmostigmus Rubripes when I posted that, nevermind.

" Snake bite " ?

Haemorrhagic reaction around a wound is not characteristic of any Australian elapid except RBBS. There is insufficient swelling for a RBBS bite. Lot of bush around Garden Suburb and Swamp snakes and RBBS are reasonably common though . In my experience , RBBS bites are extremely painful too. Its not typical of any snake bite that I`m aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back