Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackWatson

Reaction score
Hey guys!

im new to the whole reptile owning experience that i want to start very soon although i have been around snakes for the past 6 years or so from fanily friends who have owned olives, jungles, diamond, black headed, green tree and the list goes on haha :)

my question for you guys though is what python do you think i ahould get being a first time owner? i really really want A diamond python and i already have a tank which is 1200 x 600 x 600 (LxWXH) any advice would be great! thanks guys :)

My suggestion is get what you really want and not just get what is best for a beginner. I think that if you do the correct homework about the snake you want any snake will be fine. By doing the right homework that also includes researching what you want out of a snake and make sure the specific species fits into your expectations saying that though I think a diamond is a great first time snake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My suggestion is get what you really want and not just get what is best for a beginner. I think that if you do the correct homework about the snake you want any snake will be fine. By doing the right homework that also includes researching what you want out of a snake and make sure the specific species fits into your expectations saying that though I think a diamond is a great first time snake.

Diamond pythons are awesome and can be very friendly. Also keep hearing every one say good things just remember they get big actually also why I love them. But I have known people to start with a small Simpson python because they very low maintenance and not very intimidating because of there size but I agree get what you like. it will be in your life longer then most pets if you keep it and take care of it properly.

Maybe just avoid things like elapids or GTPS as those require more knowledge but as for pythons.....

Comes down to choice. Any snake can be nasty and hate handling, just as much as any snake would be placid. All it comes down to, is how big you are after, and which animal you like the best.

Maybe just avoid things like elapids or GTPS as those require more knowledge but as for pythons.....

Comes down to choice. Any snake can be nasty and hate handling, just as much as any snake would be placid. All it comes down to, is how big you are after, and which animal you like the best.
You are right about elapids not being a good choice and the dangerous ones can not be kept on a basic license anyway but I am not sure that you require more information for a GTP , it its just different information that is required from most other pythons and I think if the proper preparation and someone can successfully keep them as they don't seem difficult to keep to me. That being said they are not as forgiving to mistakes as other pythons so they are not a python to learn on.

Last edited:
It's not requiring more or different information that you need, it's another world of knowledge, understanding and awareness.
Suggesting to anybody who's never owned snakes that it's not too hard to own elapids is beyond foolish.

Good suggestions for first timers are the Anteresia species; Childreni, Maculosa and Stimson(@site_3678 ) because of thier size, nature and ease of care.
As for Morelia, I'd suggest Bredli, Murray Darling or Darwins as a great starting point. For something different Water Pythons can be fantastic, don't get too big and have a very different and interesting personality thats for sure.
Do your research and find out what interests you, and suits what you want from an animal.

I would be gett5the Diamond you want.
The hardest part with be choosing what colour you want.
I'd like a high yellow or Black and white. There are a heap of different grades of High Yellow though. Choosing would be hard.

Anthony
aka White Shadow

It's not requiring more or different information that you need, it's another world of knowledge, understanding and awareness.
Suggesting to anybody who's never owned snakes that it's not too hard to own elapids is beyond foolish.

Good suggestions for first timers are the Anteresia species; Childreni, Maculosa and Stimson(@site_3678 ) because of thier size, nature and ease of care.
As for Morelia, I'd suggest Bredli, Murray Darling or Darwins as a great starting point. For something different Water Pythons can be fantastic, don't get too big and have a very different and interesting personality thats for sure.
Do your research and find out what interests you, and suits what you want from an animal.
Not sure that you got that I was talking about GTP's being ok if researched properly so I have edited my response to add "for a GTP" so it makes it clearer for you. My first line stated that I didn't think elapids were a good first choice and my last statement about them being not as forgiving as other pythons was the other giveaway.

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips, i really appreciate all of it, if i was going to go with a Diamond do you think the cage i have will be big enough for it?

If your starting with a hatchling it will be far more than you need. Id start them out in a click clack. As for an adult I would go larger than that as adults reach over 2m

Also you would be better with more height than width in my opinion for a diamond.

Yer I'd go length - length of the snake hight 2/3 of the snake and depth 1/2 of the snake so depending on its size will give you all the right dimensions. So if it's fully grown probebly bigger but be ok for a 2 year old to big for a hatchling insaying that if you dont have the room for a bigger one daily handling would be enough for a good stretch. Just my opinion tho.

Depending upon what state you are in you may need to consider legislated requirements, which may conflict with what is best for the animal.

A 4x2x2(what you have) is more than adequate for a Diamond, just about any Morelia with the exception of a Scrubby.

A 4x2x2(what you have) is more than adequate for a Diamond, just about any Morelia with the exception of a Scrubby.
awesome! thats great news, because the more i do my research on the diamonds the more they appeal to me :)

Yepp, you have to go with what your heart says. it's a big investment of time and money no matter what you choose!

Yes it would do as a minimum but I would give it more height if it was mine. Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons state that 600mm is a minimum height for a diamond enclosure.

Yes it would do as a minimum but I would give it more height if it was mine. Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons state that 600mm is a minimum height for a diamond enclosure.

oh okay, thanks for letting me know that, i had no idea, i have been looking around trying to see what size enclosures people keep them in, but thats good to know, i appreciate it!

I prefer overkill. This is my enclosure for my diamond cross coastal.

a3yjuju9.jpg

It is 1.8 m long 600 mm deep and maybe about 1.3 m tall.

thats awesome! your enclosure looks heaps good, thanks for showing me, i love seeing how other people set up and design there enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back