Plz help need the truth

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2.3casper

Reaction score
I have just save my butt of for 2 snakes to add to my home .i was looking to bye sun glows but could not find some then I found a guy that's said he has 100% het for sale so I got 2 of them . But when I got them home a few off my mates are saying that you can't get 100% het in sun-glows so I don't know what to believe plz if some one can help me with this that would be great

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I mean a drwin

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry at work trying to type at same. Time lol

Yes that's what I got 2 darwin carpet python that's 100% het for sunglows but my mate are say there is not such thing

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I forgot to say there both albinos and100%hets for sun

Not 100% sure that you can 100% het for sunglow, I know you can 100% het albino which is most likely what they are but as I said im not 100% sure

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I reckon its possible if theyre both albino

I stole this off of a RDU add:

"A double gene animal in it’s homozygous form, the Sunglow carries both the incomplete dominant mutation of the Caramel and recessive mutation of the Albino. This animal was bred from a Caramel Het for Albino Carpet paired with an Albino Darwin Carpet Python. If paired with the caramel het for albino male,this pairing can produce het for albino, caramel het for albino, albino, sunglow & super sunglow hatchlings."

Some more info here:
https://aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/sunglows-210325/
https://aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/first-sunglow-carpet-python-world-189299/

A sunglow is a Caramel Coastal crossed by an Albino Darwin. Going by the above I would say you cannot have 2 pure Darwins carrying the sunglow gene. I think you were sold two Darwins that are het for Albino.

(I'm no expert so feel free to correct me as I myself am still learning.)

Last edited:
They are just plain albinos. No such thing as het for sunglow. Hope you didn't pay too much.

They are just plain albinos. No such thing as het for sunglow. Hope you didn't pay too much.

...or more importantly, not more than an equivalent age and quality Albino Darwin.

Sounds like somebody sold them to you thinking you meant 'Albino' when you said 'Sunglow' and didn't realise that a Sunglow actually exists - or they were just plain taking advantage. Given that they were Albino's themselves lends me to think the latter.....

I pad 2300 for boy and 1300 for girl so you can't have a albino het for hypo there only baby's

K brothers have a good reputation, So I could not see them ripping anyone off.

K brothers have a good reputation, So I could not see them ripping anyone off.

Sorry, I wasn't implying they were ripping anyone off, just thought it might help the OP understand what a sunglow is etc.

It`s ok Norm.:) It was more for the OP. Not directed at anyone.

Thanks for helping out guys I was just really worried that you could not carry the hypo gene over in to the albinos but felling a lit better now

There could also be some confusion with what carrying sunglow actually is. You're friends may be saying that the sunglow gene cannot truly be carried in an albino as an Albino Darwin x Coastal already has the albino gene present and therefore the snake cannot be het for albino and hypo. Instead they can however carry hypo which combined with the already expressed Albino gene makes the snakes het for sunglow. However if it were a wild type carrying both Albino and caramel then you could technically say the full sunglow gene is carried.
(Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm always happy to learn and correct my mistakes. Once again I'm not a genetics master :p)

The best way to determine what you purchased is to contact the breeder and clarify what you actually purchased. Ask if they are pure Albino Darwins and there was a mix up with the term sunglow between you both or if they are actually Albino Darwin x Coastal carpets that carry the hypo gene.

If you can't get in contact with the breeder (which would be a tad shady IMO), I guess you're just going to have to wait until the offspring hatch and hope for the best (Also makes the experience all the more fun and surprising! :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back