No night time heating following infection

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for taking the time to reply George.

I am not a pathologist or a microbiologist and so i don't pretend to fully understand the reasoning behind the diagnosis of chronic infection, however these were the conclusions of the pathology report:

There is a mild anaemia that subjectively is either nonregenerative or poorly regenerative; however, the reticulocyte count will follow to further evaluate. Given the clinical signs and presentation consider anaemia of chronic/inflammatory disease. The leucocytosis with predominantly heterophils and monocytes supports inflammatory disease, likely secondary to the skin lesions. No other significant abnormalities are noted on the CBC.

Unfortunately due to a late awareness that the phosphate was not measured correctly on the first attempt, there was insufficient remaining sample to perform the requested phosphate. Please consider resubmission of another sample, if possible, for analysis free of charge.

The low albumin with high normal globulins supports chronic inflammation. The elevated AST and CK support muscle damage that could be associated with extension of the skin lesions into the underlying muscle or other focal/systemic myositis. No other significant abnormalities are noted on the biochemical panel.

ADDITIONAL (15.11.13): The reticulocyte % is marginally elevated supporting a poorly regenerative anaemia suggesting perhaps haemorrhage with concurrent inflammatory disease.

The pathology results were also examined by Dr Shane Simpson who had the following to say "Basically the bloods are telling us this snake has a chronic, long term cause of inflammation. This has most likely led to a mild anaemia caused by chronic disease. Again these results fit with a snake that has had a long term infection."

You are bang on with the mycobacteria; this was a long suspected culprit however we were never able to verify as all bacterial stains failed. You have no idea how many hours i spent pouring through Mader for possible causes of mycobacterial infection. What was always very difficult for us was that my husbandry did not seem to reflect that which would cause such an infection... While i would be lying if i said i was always as on top of things as i would have liked, i still cleaned and F10 disinfected the enclosure on a regular (monthly) basis (in conjunction with weekly spot cleaning), with full bedding changes and never longer than four days or so without the water bowl being cleaned out. Temperatures in the enclosure also remained stable with a 32 degree hot spot. It is of course entirely possible that i slipped up in one way or another and allowed bedding to stay wet for a period of time, however damp bedding and high humidity is not something that i remember noticing during my cleaning regime. Either way i am anal retentive with my cleaning now as i am determined to eliminate all possible opportunities for re-infection.

In reply to your original question any change to animals environment is best done slowly so as to minimise any shock. You are seeking to change the cage, and to change the timing of when articial heat is available. When you do decide to attempt these it is best to do them seperately so as to minimise any stress.
I would move the animal into the new larger cage first and provide heat 24/7. Assuming the cage has hot and cold areas, watch that the snake is thermoregulating as often sick snakes dont. If the snake is thermoregulating then you can then reduce the hours of heat.

Very interesting, articulate and informative thread. Thanks to all who contributed the useful stuff here, it's been a pleasure to read...

Jamie

Likeless also! Do as they say...better warm than a possible RI...:)

In reply to your original question any change to animals environment is best done slowly so as to minimise any shock. You are seeking to change the cage, and to change the timing of when articial heat is available. When you do decide to attempt these it is best to do them seperately so as to minimise any stress.
I would move the animal into the new larger cage first and provide heat 24/7. Assuming the cage has hot and cold areas, watch that the snake is thermoregulating as often sick snakes dont. If the snake is thermoregulating then you can then reduce the hours of heat.

Cheers Wokka, this makes a lot of sense. It is getting to the stage where he has really, well and truly, outgrown his current enclosure and after speaking with my vet i have decided to cautiously attempt moving him, however will keep him under 24/7 heat and close supervision.

Very interesting, articulate and informative thread. Thanks to all who contributed the useful stuff here, it's been a pleasure to read...

Jamie

Likeless also! Do as they say...better warm than a possible RI...:)

Never meant for this to become an in depth discussion of my pythons illness, but if it was beneficial for others then i am glad it turned out that way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back