Snake poo, is it true?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cats are too smart, but snake poo and sheds are somewhat effective for possums. I supply several friends with the litter from my cages as garden mulch and shed skins to put in roof space and tie around plants to deter possums. It works if they are fairly wild. If very used to people and suburban, they are not deterred.

I hope you get your cat problem sorted. I hate it when people let their animals roam! It is not safe for the animals and an irritation for everyone else.

Cats are too smart, but snake poo and sheds are somewhat effective for possums. I supply several friends with the litter from my cages as garden mulch and shed skins to put in roof space and tie around plants to deter possums. It works if they are fairly wild. If very used to people and suburban, they are not deterred.

I hope you get your cat problem sorted. I hate it when people let their animals roam! It is not safe for the animals and an irritation for everyone else.

I find snake poo and snake skins to be very effective. I hang the snake skins around my front door and smear the poo on my door and I have had no door knocking sales people in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was under the impression that cats don't like snakes but there's a few snakes that like cats ie for dinner. Might be an option to have a big snake give it a feed then that cat would be the poop. By the way your not sposed to do this either but some put pictures of snakes mainly pythons eating someone's cat on the internet even dogs sometimes if small get eaten.

Last edited:
ammonia will attract cats not deter them because it smells like their urine

Snake poo works as a deterant for Possums and rodents but it must be fresh. Once it is a couple of weeks old they come back

A dog is one of the oldest, and most effective ways to keep cats away. At our previous home, a cat used to often come into our front yard, so I would simply open the side gate and let the dog out. Only needed to do this very occasionally, because cats seem to have good memories.

You could always give this a go.

[video=youtube;uIbkLjjlMV8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8&feature=kp[/video]

Pretty sure it would be illegal to catch someone's cat and have it desexed....not that desexing would stop a cat from roaming, only the owners can do that.

Go and talk to your neighbour, tell them you have snail bait and rat poison (and a big rat trap) in your yard, so you don't want the cat getting poisoned or caught....yes, tell a white lie, but this way you come across concerned for the cat and the good guy by warning them.

You can get motion activated sprinklers, which is handy, no cat wants to cop a face full of cold water. A definite plus when you have more than one neighbours cat roaming.

If all that fails, get a cat trap, trap the cat and take it to the pound as a stray, every single time. The owners will get sick of paying for the release of their cat and might do the right thing and keep it indoors or set up an enclosure.

I have 3 cats, none of mine roam, they have a room and an outdoor enclosure. All safe n sound, and so is the wildlife and neighbours gardens.

A dog is one of the oldest, and most effective ways to keep cats away. At our previous home, a cat used to often come into our front yard, so I would simply open the side gate and let the dog out. Only needed to do this very occasionally, because cats seem to have good memories.

Lol we do have a dog... a WHIPPET... but she's lacking some brain cells and is utterly useless when it comes to protecting our home against feline intruders :(

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure it would be illegal to catch someone's cat and have it desexed....not that desexing would stop a cat from roaming, only the owners can do that.

Go and talk to your neighbour, tell them you have snail bait and rat poison (and a big rat trap) in your yard, so you don't want the cat getting poisoned or caught....yes, tell a white lie, but this way you come across concerned for the cat and the good guy by warning them.

You can get motion activated sprinklers, which is handy, no cat wants to cop a face full of cold water. A definite plus when you have more than one neighbours cat roaming.

If all that fails, get a cat trap, trap the cat and take it to the pound as a stray, every single time. The owners will get sick of paying for the release of their cat and might do the right thing and keep it indoors or set up an enclosure.

I have 3 cats, none of mine roam, they have a room and an outdoor enclosure. All safe n sound, and so is the wildlife and neighbours gardens.

Actually it's not illegal at all... I was advised both by the RSPCA and the council that this is what they recommend. You're right the desexing might not stop the roaming (though it can drastically reduce it) but it would help with all the **** spraying it's doing in my house! The cat trap idea is good but if you take it to the pound, they do automatically desex the cat and if the neighbours don't claim it within a certain time period it's taken to the Animal Welfare League and rehomed... that's why I'm really hesitant to take this course of action; what if the neighbours don't show up to claim it?!

Your idea about the white lie I think is great. I was going to tell them we have a nasty german shepherd (don't get me wrong, I love those dogs but I know a lot of people are scared of them) and maybe mention there's a huge carpet python living in our yard, but the snail and rat poison lie is a great idea too. It was harder before because we weren't sure which house it was coming from but now we've confirmed it so I think that's what I'll do. I'm just not a confrontational person so I might have to wuss out and leave them a note in their mailbox :(

Thanks for all the great ideas guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back