Not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gobears

Reaction score
I have a 14 year old 8 1/2' diamond/carpet python. This has always been the healthiest and consistent eater I have ever owned. For the last 6 years have feed only frozen rats. Over last 3 1/2 months the snake has stopped eating. Was a little concerned but not to much until recently. 2 weeks ago the snake shed. Was relieved because I was certain this was why. Since I have tried 2 more jumbo frozen rats in which he hasn't ate since the shedding. I'm up to 11 jumbo rats now that have been dropped in and not eaten. Getting costly. The snake is very active and hungry. What steps should I try next? Same temp and environment over last several years. This snake has never stopped eating even when temperatures weren't ideal and in different environments. Have moved across country 7 times (military) with this snake and sometimes not in its normal environment for months. Still has always ate and was healthy.

Smaller rat? Warm up the rat more then normal room temp? Go to vet? Swing the rat around? These things are running through my head. What should I do.

Thanks Justin

Enclosure temps and location?
If you're in Aus, the temperature is cooling down as winter sets in and reptiles go into their natural brumation period.
It's not healthy or recommended that you feed unless you plan to provide sufficient heat for digestion.
What makes you think your diamond is hungry?
The activity could indicate your diamond is a male and pacing due to the upcoming breeding season.

If your snake appears to have good condition I don't think you have anything to worry about but of course I can only offer my experience and if in doubt try and find a reptile vet with a good reputation close by.

Have you tried an alternative food source like quail or duck, my 6 year old Intergrade went off her food early last month and she refused every rodent offered, but when i offered her a nice big quail she smashed it with gusto. :) ..............................Ron

All Diamonds over 2 rears old, should be cooling now!

Hush now, young grasshopper. The OP may not live in Aus and be experiencing a different climate to us at the moment.
Was a general statement, to not only the OP...He is from Oz, their is a slight clue in the post old girl...:)

Was a general statement, to not only the OP...He is from Oz, their is a slight clue in the post old girl...:)

Ah! I found the clue!

I'll just go and crawl back under my rock now :)

Wonder if Gobears had a heart attack when he pressed send! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back