Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if she is an intergrade but here's my 2 year old Lucy

View attachment 310782
8e4a2yna.jpg

Not sure why you don't know if it is an intergrade or not?

Agreed, looks like an intergrade to me. Looks a lot like the ones I'm selling.

Not sure because I got her from a pet shop and was sold as just a vic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Vic what? Doesn't particularly look like a MD to me, or what I would expect a diamond from the extreme south of its range to look like.

Up until fairly recently most carpet pythons were under the same code in VIC. Not everyone bothered swapping all their animals over to the new subspecies codes. Is it a paper work issue or did the petshop sell it to you as a VIC carpet.

Some of my guy's...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 79
I have no idea what this is. I say intergrade because here in the US. We have NOTHING like you guys do there. Not even close. I bought this as a coastal carpet, but was not promised it was pure. I'm not upset in the slightest as anything carpet to me is beautiful, interesting and special.

Nick Mutton and I exchanged e-mails and he felt this was either a coastal/jungle cross or a coastal/diamond cross.

Here she is as a yearling. About 3 feet + or 1 meter long.

DSC01391.jpg
I'm certainly open to the opinions of all of you as to your best guess of what you think is involved here.

DSC01386.jpg
I love her but expect she is a mutt.

DSC01343.jpg
I will post pictures of the pair that produced her as well but I'll show her at different angles if it helps provide a guess as to what she is.

DSC01345.jpg
Here is a belly shot.

DSC01347.jpg
Last shots of her.

DSC01389.jpg

DSC01390.jpg
These are the parents.

I'm not very well versed in these snakes yet, so I have no idea how these two produced mine?

20130202_155153.jpg

The female is 9.5 feet long and quite a big girl. Any thoughts as to what I may have? Ideas are welcome and I'm aware it's probably impossible to say for sure. I'm not even sure if a mutt is the same as an intergrade. All of that said I really dig carpets and think they are the most adaptable pythons on the planet.

Go Aussie and Rose Tattoo!

This thread sort of died on the vine. Anybody having a look lately?

Here are a few more of my "I have no idea what" mix.

DSC01382.jpg

Close up.

DSC01401.jpg

DSC01397.jpg
Last.

DSC01387.jpg

Strictly not an intergrade but here is my diamond cross coastal to kick the thread along.

bc66876669db570024d6d0d4098a5f5b.jpg

7cc74e1d56c8331bbba4a5a0fc657cec.jpg

071572c459ada055e7f09cbab26b58d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea what this is. I say intergrade because here in the US. We have NOTHING like you guys do there. Not even close. I bought this as a coastal carpet, but was not promised it was pure. I'm not upset in the slightest as anything carpet to me is beautiful, interesting and special.

Nick Mutton and I exchanged e-mails and he felt this was either a coastal/jungle cross or a coastal/diamond cross.

Here she is as a yearling. About 3 feet + or 1 meter long.

DSC01391.jpg
I'm certainly open to the opinions of all of you as to your best guess of what you think is involved here.

DSC01386.jpg
I love her but expect she is a mutt.

DSC01343.jpg
I will post pictures of the pair that produced her as well but I'll show her at different angles if it helps provide a guess as to what she is.

DSC01345.jpg
Here is a belly shot.

DSC01347.jpg
Last shots of her.

DSC01389.jpg

DSC01390.jpg
These are the parents.

I'm not very well versed in these snakes yet, so I have no idea how these two produced mine?

20130202_155153.jpg

The female is 9.5 feet long and quite a big girl. Any thoughts as to what I may have? Ideas are welcome and I'm aware it's probably impossible to say for sure. I'm not even sure if a mutt is the same as an intergrade. All of that said I really dig carpets and think they are the most adaptable pythons on the planet.

Go Aussie and Rose Tattoo!

It would be next to impossible to tell just by looking. Even sampling DNA, you wouldn't be able to distinguish the differance between a jungle carpet/coastal carpet/diamond python, in saying that IMO it is a coastal (spilota mcdowelli) mix, possibly with an irian jaya (spilota variagata). The difference in colour compared to the parents is normal as in the same clutch of eggs all siblings can look totally different from each other, as well as from both there parents. This is verry common with coastals. Hope that helps, good looking snake none the less.

It would be next to impossible to tell just by looking. Even sampling DNA, you wouldn't be able to distinguish the differance between a jungle carpet/coastal carpet/diamond python, in saying that IMO it is a coastal (spilota mcdowelli) mix, possibly with an irian jaya (spilota variagata). The difference in colour compared to the parents is normal as in the same clutch of eggs all siblings can look totally different from each other, as well as from both there parents. This is verry common with coastals. Hope that helps, good looking snake none the less.

Thanks for the comments. I know the mother of mine is close to 10 feet long, and quite thick. The sire is a good 8 feet.

My snake has only been popped and not probed so the sex is still up in the air, but so far it is a she.

I didn't consider possible Darwin in the mix, but I agree, it will be impossible to tell and really, here in the states the purity is questionable with about everything not purchased from a very reputable breeder.

I am surprised that the litter mates and parents can differ so much in color and pattern.

Thanks for the comments!

Thanks for the comments. I know the mother of mine is close to 10 feet long, and quite thick. The sire is a good 8 feet.

My snake has only been popped and not probed so the sex is still up in the air, but so far it is a she.

I didn't consider possible Darwin in the mix, but I agree, it will be impossible to tell and really, here in the states the purity is questionable with about everything not purchased from a very reputable breeder.

I am surprised that the litter mates and parents can differ so much in color and pattern.

Thanks for the comments!

With the parents being so large it's doubtful that a jungle would be a major player gene wise as they average about 1.8 metres in length (there are exceptions) whilst the Darwin/irian jaya can average 2.5 metres and coastal can reach up to 14 feet. I honestly can't see any distinguishing features, pattern wise, that would suggest a diamond was in the mix but again I can't be certain. The yellow colouration is seen in both coastals and Darwin/irian jaya's in some populations. Cheers.

Last edited:
I don't even know if he belongs here but I want to show him off.
(Sibling from a Jag clutch) He was sold as 25% Bredli, 25% Diamond 25% Coastal and 25% Murray Darling :/

He's a champ though, Feeds and handles well and just had his first shed. :D

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    493.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back