Keeping red back spiders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any one point me in a direction to find out about the laws of what we can and can not keep(native/nonnative) arachnids in Australia (nsw) and if we need a license or not please and thank you.

No license needed for native arachnids. Not sure about non natives

I used to keep them in jars as a child, I thought they were beautiful and took my prized pet for show and tell. The other girls ran away screaming and wouldn't play with me lol the boys thought I was cool enough to join their gang lol The Teacher confiscated her till home time with strict instructions not to bring any more live critters unless invited :facepalm: I think your Girl is gorgeous

I'm currently keeping about 100 or so in my garage. Not voluntarily - they're more like squatters really, never pay rent and make a mess, but keep the riff raff out so they can stay...

Also, theres only ever been TWO recorded deaths from Red back bites and that was before anti venom was developed - which was back in 1956, and one of those deaths was an infant.
No reason to let your guard down though...

I keep dozens of them and sell them for $50 each!:lol:

Bugger I killed about $1000 yesterday , should of read this first .

I know people want funnel webs also but I just keep taking them to the local hospital where they get shipped to the reptile park !

want any more pets

I have 10 in my underground compost. Including some males (I assume they’re males) and 4 egg sacks and I went inside to get the surface spray but couldn’t bring myself to spray them lol (I must sick in the head - says she who will video tape a massive white tail spider crawling up my wall before considering even squatting it with my bare hand (to stun it so I can run and get a tissue lol)
I’ll know it when I get bitten. I was wondering if there was any spider keepers in Newcastle NSW

Bugger I killed about $1000 yesterday , should of read this first .

I know people want funnel webs also but I just keep taking them to the local hospital where they get shipped to the reptile park !

Where are you located? I have $500 worth

The reptile park 100km from me doesn’t want them, they only want funnel web spiders

I'm currently keeping about 100 or so in my garage. Not voluntarily - they're more like squatters really, never pay rent and make a mess, but keep the riff raff out so they can stay...

Also, theres only ever been TWO recorded deaths from Red back bites and that was before anti venom was developed - which was back in 1956, and one of those deaths was an infant.
No reason to let your guard down though...

Haha I haven’t had a problem with cockroaches in the compost since the spiders moved in. They are excellent guests

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard of people keeping a Wolf spider or a Tarantula as a pet, but I've never heard of anyone keeping a Red-back. Does your new spider friend have a name yet?

I've kept redbacks for a while. Easy to care for. I keep mine in a tall glass jar with a toilet paper roll attached to the side of the jar vertically near the top. The redback builds a nest/web inside the toilet roll tube and lays down it's trip wire webs to the floor of the jar.

I also keep Toowoomba funnelwebs, South Australian trapdoors and a few Tarantulas from NSW, SA and QLD.

I keep redbacks and they are easy as dark environment and food bingo.. also i am desperately trying to get my hands on a female funnel web.. but am having no luck (as i live on the sunny coast, qld)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back