Q for those who own snakes with a lot of white

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerlily

Reaction score
I am in awe of the pythons that are largely white (see pics below). Jag or Julatten or whatever, I just love the high white ones.

I see a lot of photos of young snakes that are very white, but I get the impression that they colour up into yellow or a greyish colour as they age. Is this true? I've also seen adults that have a striking white/black contrast. Is there a way to know whether a young snake will retain the white just by looking at it? Or do you need to see the parents?

I've attached some pics for reference; I got them off google but I think some are from this board so all copyright to the original posters, thank you for your input!

042c.jpg F3SilviaXelvis7-14-0901med.jpg feb14006_zpsac05a4eb.jpg lemonpepper-2008-08-11-02.jpg

PS the last one is a bit pastel yellow/lemony... I really like this colour too, can someone experienced tell me if it's an adult or if it will continue to become a more vivid yellow?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to look at what the parents look like. That is a pretty good indication as to what a young snake will colour up like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Albino's (darwins) turn whiter with age, but i have seen julattens that are bright white with black markings as hatchies, and turn a muddy grey as they mature.

If you like the snakes above id suggest a julatten jag. my white snakes consist of 2 albinos and a julatten jungle. Certain strains of albinos are being line bred to express max white and minimum yellow.

Hi Cold B,

My Cape Yorks are pretty white. White and red to be exact. Unlike Darwins, they are white straight from the egg. Darwins have a red hue to them for quite some time as hatchies for comparison.
You can have a look at some in the vid I made in Australian snakes. A few are about to shed but their are a few straight after a shed with some showing a brilliant white.
Cheers, Dan

That's news to me.Where did you get that info from?

No no no i mean when theyre hatchlings, theyre a pinky orange, but as they grow and shed, they gradually form their white and yellow colouring, and the older they are (until maturity) the more white that white is (instead of the pinky orange tinge from as a hatchy)
With each shed, the pinky orange turns into the white, gradually, and the orange to the lighter yellow markings.
I didnt mean they decrease pattern and turn fully white with age haha sorry for the confusion hope this clarifies :)

yea I have an albino Darwin hatchy and was wondering how old r they before they get their colours? thankyou!

yea I have an albino Darwin hatchy and was wondering how old r they before they get their colours? thankyou!

My boy had started to get them when i bought him at 9 months old, but as of yearling age onwards, he has less pink and whiter patterning with each shed and his true colours are coming through :)
he is ~14 months

My boy had started to get them when i bought him at 9 months old, but as of yearling age onwards, he has less pink and whiter patterning with each shed and his true colours are coming through :)
he is ~14 months
I find it actually changes depending on genetics, I've had albinos darwins that just look yellow until about 1kg and 2 years old, but i also have a darwin with quite defined pattern and colour who is only 6 months old and 100g or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back