Zoo Keeper Career Help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not the end of it all! I'm from jannali I now live in canberra but ill be in Sydney not this week end but the following if your still interested to chat? Actually I'm moving on some animals to Sydney aquarium that weekend might be a good opportunity to chat to the guy coming around my place. Balls in your court woma boy? Oh I know the guys at symbio! :)
I Messaged you :) Thankyou!!! :)

Money doesn't buy happiness but its certainly a good start.

I just finished my Cert III in animal studies and have been giving a go at places like Taronga and the RP. Very fierce competition in those industries with a poor salary if you can even get a job there. It is these factors that has made me shy away and put serious thought into other endeavours. Doesn't mean I won't keep trying, though. A lot more money in the companion animals side of the industry like dog grooming and boarding.

Chris and Stusnake are spot on. If you can, do Cert 3 at Richmond as they are noted for having the highest employment rate out of their students in the industry - just ask Graeme Phipps :)
Symbio, Wildlife World and Featherdale are all ideal alternatives to Taronga in regards to work placement. The industry is competitive but don't let that put you off, if your good you'll get noticed, as simple as that. Zoo keepers don't do it for the love of money, but that's not to say you can't progress and earn more.

From an employment aspect Wommaboy you have the drive and determination that an employer wants. Chris you are amazing to offer this boy some sound advice and the opportunity to chew your ear off.
I am 38 & have only been into reptiles for 6 months & now facinated with them.

Do the study needed get your foot in the door and you will love where it takes you. Start at the bottom & learn as much as you can to get your dream to come true.

Anthony
aka White Shadow

If your passionate about it go for it :) listen to those that have advice on offer im sure they will guide u in the right direction. Moneys not everything and im sure it would be a great start. Goodluck with it all :)

Money doesn't buy happiness.

when you only have enough money to keep the lights on or eat that week, let us know how happy you are without money lol

The zoo industry is a very low paid one and a lot of the time frustrating due to the keepers knowing the animal needs but the budgets that cant make it happen. Animals at zoos are generally very poorly kept with quiet a few deaths.

when you only have enough money to keep the lights on or eat that week, let us know how happy you are without money lol

The zoo industry is a very low paid one and a lot of the time frustrating due to the keepers knowing the animal needs but the budgets that cant make it happen. Animals at zoos are generally very poorly kept with quiet a few deaths.

Zoo husbandry has come along way since the 1950s. There are unfortunately Still institutions out there that have poor conditions, However current standards are set at a high benchmark and NSW Standards are considered amongst the best in the world. Some of the best exhibits Ive seen in recent times where on budgets that goverment zoos would laugh at and the finished results have left egg on the face. One or two exhibits that I helped to design and build are regarded as being some of the best in the country. Not bad for a private zoo with a budget a tenth of that of a government zoo. Being hands on in design and build also gives you a lot of satisfaction knowing youve helped create the environment for the animal in your care.

- - - Updated - - -

There are days where Im ready to throw the towel in because Ive got no coin to pay car rego or put fuel in the car to get to work. Can be frustrating but you work through it and when you are feeding or handling the animals you work with or seeing people enjoying a presentation and walking away with a new found respect for a snake or a crocodile it makes it all worthwhile, for me anyway.
No matter how crap my day has been, once Im in the pen and have a 4.6 meter salty plucking some chook off his feed pole, the crap washes away and Im reminded why I still do what I do and I wouldnt trade it in for a few extra $$$.

I was implying that although you can't buy money with happiness you need money to buy the things to make you happy.

With pay being low in the industry start a hobby that can bring in extra cash to help out.
My wife delivers catalogues to get extra money. An extra 80-100 every week goes a long way.

Anthony
aka White Shadow

Thankyou everyone for all the advice you have given me! I will take it all onboard! Stusnake, thats exactly how i feel! Even though the job is low paid, it will be worth it when you are there changing peoples perspectives on reptiles, and doing what you love for a living! None of the low paid comments have put me off becoming a zoo keeper! (not that they were intended on doing that). Thanks again!

Thankyou everyone for all the advice you have given me! I will take it all onboard! Stusnake, thats exactly how i feel! Even though the job is low paid, it will be worth it when you are there changing peoples perspectives on reptiles, and doing what you love for a living! None of the low paid comments have put me off becoming a zoo keeper! (not that they were intended on doing that). Thanks again!

that's a great attitude to have ,I work for myself(not with reptiles unfortunately) on ****e pay but I like my job so I persevere.Keep going womaboy

if you want to change peoples perspectives on reptiles, have you thought about starting a reptile demo business?

Thanks guys! My parents and i will be looking into all these options! My dream is to become in the reptile section - Like taking care of the snakes and doing croc shows - i know it seems far fetched but if i try hard enough i can see my self acheiving this :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Once you turn 18 try to get a Volunteer position at any wildlife park in the area. ARP, Taronga, Wildlife world, featherdale..etc etc. Once you get that, do Cert 3 captive animals.
Uni degrees dont neccessarily help you.. of course its a plus but most Zoos want experience, 3 years or more working in a wildlife park/Zoo with Cert 3 in captive. Id start Volunteering as soon as you can

If you are willing to travel I highly recommend doing a years volunteering at the Australian Reptile Park. Made heaps of friends there, they have some interesting and diverse creatures to look after and was just all round a great experience. I remember a girl there who I spoke frequently with over the first 6 months who was doing who captive animal cert 4 I think either that or 3 and got offered a job at Dreamworld as a keeper. So I guess if jobs do come up you have to pounce on them.

I'm in the same boat as you womaboy. Though I'm not sure wether zoo keeping will be my first career choice (I'm more in the direction of being a scientist and possibly a natural history presenter). In august I will be booking in for work experience at the Melbourne zoo for 2015 (you sort of have to book a year early if you won't a guaranteed spot). In the mean time I will be doing part time work to help cover the expenses of some of the necessities needed to get into this sort of career work. As well as that, I will be doing volunteer work for locale animal shelters, or anything animals related. From what you have said, out of the 2 of us, if only one were to do what they actually won't to do, it probably would be you mate. You have a far better mind set and determination then I do. Good luck to you mate! P.S I'm 15 so your a year ahead of me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back