Am I being Ripped off ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisGibbs

Reaction score
I have been offered a standard Adult Diamond (6YO) by a private seller, to whom I offerred $300. The snake seems small for its age and has fairly restrained colouration.

The seller is trying to tell me that they are worth over $500.

Being very new to the game, I am after some advice as to what would constitute a fair price for such an animal (Not a hi yellow or any other special type).
I am located on the mid north coast, so I suspect that it could also be an integrade...

You offered $300
So that is what you think it is worth??

Locality has little to do with captive snakes
It could have originated from anywhere

Average price for a Diamond from hatchling up to yearlings is around 300-350, a 6 year old snake has had a lot of time and money put into its care therefore bumping up the price, IMO no, your not getting ripped off and the price you were given is pretty fair

A snake is worth what you are happy paying for it, if the price is more than you are happy paying then don't buy it. If there is a snake that appeals to you that much then you will naturally pay more for it.

Don't pay more than you want to. It's like a car - if you want to pay ten grand, and the bloke says it's worth 15, you don't just have to give him 15 because he says so. If you only think it's worth 10, offer that then walk away. Diamonds aren't rare.

I dont think its that bad a price, extremely high yellows are selling for thousands, normal hatchies are selling for 250-350.

Would be funny if the bloke who sold it to you saw this post.

Fil...

For and adult average diamond as you put it I usually have seen them through out the last year go for roughly 200-300. High yellows get up to round the 5-600 area but that is for quality.

A snake is worth only what you are willing to pay for it. I would suggest having a look at classified ads of other diamonds and find one that looks comparable. Then see what the price is.

Also, don't feel obliged to buy a snake or pay more for it than you want just because the seller thinks you should.

You aren't being ripped off, though for $500 it would want to be at the top end of the spectrum. Also you have to be careful buying adult snakes especially diamonds, they often come with baggage.

I've recently picked up a 10 year old male B&W Diamond for 200. I've always loved and wanted a B&W Diamond but they're not too common to come by - especially adults. So when the seller said he only wanted 200 for him I literally jumped at the chance! I would have happily paid 6-800 for an adult B&W, and that's generally around what they go for as a minimum.
He doesn't have the best temperament but he's more of a display animal for me, kinda like the jewel in my collection, I have plenty of other morelia for cuddles :p
Look at Kel Worleys collection of diamonds he's selling atm - $5k+ each and they're easily worth it.
price with snakes is very subjective - if the seller thinks its worth x then they're going to ask for it, if as a buyer you think it's worth x and it's a different x from the seller, then keep looking, no need to feel obligated to pay what you don't think is a fair price.

Personally I don't think 500 is a stretch for a diamond, but if you're not comfortable don't buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back