Blue Tongue temps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankgrimes

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just returned from QLD to VIC (1 week work), and my wife agreed to look after one of her work friends blue tongues while I was away...blueys been here (in Vic) for 5 days, and Im concerned about the setup...UV light, 60watt ceramic heat bulb on top of a 600 x 450 enclosure and food is vetafarm lizard food....Ive just tested the temp in the "hot" end, and it's 17 degrees, so night time temps would be extremely low.....the bluey's not eating (understandable), and has not moved from beneath the shredded paper since I got home (7 hours ago)

What temps should I be looking at getting the hot end to? 30/31 ?

Food - Ive purchased some "quality" cat food, some meal worms, banana and some asian greens...but want to get his temps up to better levels before offering him food.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

cheers.

What species is it?

How old is it?

How you answer these questions will help people give you the proper advice.

Having never kept blueys before, and not being able to contact the owner (She is overseas) - My uneducated "guess" would be an eastern blue tongue, and age is unknown, but it is "adult" size

Cheers.

Sounds like the bluey is in brumation, let him be, don't try and feed it anything, unless you can provide enough heat for it to digest properly

the owner should have told your wife what the conditions should be before hand

Yep...certainly should have, but didnt....owner is OS and not contactable for another week.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like the bluey is in brumation, let him be, don't try and feed it anything, unless you can provide enough heat for it to digest properly

Ive purchased a "better" heat lamp, and some globes...testing the "Hot" end now with 75 watt, and looks to be getting up to ~25...Ill change it to 100watt, and see how it goes.....re my original question, is low 30's the optimum temp in the hot end? And once i get that sorted, should I start trying to feed him with cat food, meal worms, banana? (I.e. what would be easiest to digest, as vegies(I assume?) would be the hardest?))

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Yep...certainly should have, but didnt....owner is OS and not contactable for another week.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive purchased a "better" heat lamp, and some globes...testing the "Hot" end now with 75 watt, and looks to be getting up to ~25...Ill change it to 100watt, and see how it goes.....re my original question, is low 30's the optimum temp in the hot end? And once i get that sorted, should I start trying to feed him with cat food, meal worms, banana? (I.e. what would be easiest to digest, as vegies(I assume?) would be the hardest?))

Thanks for all the responses so far.
low to mid 30's is fine
I'm not a fan of tinned cat food,too much preservative ,avoid fish and anything with high fat levels,try good quality mince or steak cut in strips
some meal worms are fine but remember they are high in fat,
small amounts of banana are okay but are high in phosphorus
here is a link to one of my favourite sites...http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html..
it is mainly aimed at dragons but many similarities exist
hope this helps

if the bluie has gone it brumation I wouldn't be trying to feed it.

low to mid 30's is fine
I'm not a fan of tinned cat food,too much preservative ,avoid fish and anything with high fat levels,try good quality mince or steak cut in strips
some meal worms are fine but remember they are high in fat,
small amounts of banana are okay but are high in phosphorus
here is a link to one of my favourite sites...http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html..
it is mainly aimed at dragons but many similarities exist
hope this helps

Cheers - Ive put in the 100watt bulb, and now have temps ~29, and he's come out from under the shredded paper and basking, which is a good sign...how long should I wait before offering food?

Thanks again for all the responses.

You want to feed dog food not cat food and mix in some frozen veg from the supermarket. I personally if it had gone into brumation I would of left it and would still be wary about feeding it now.

You want to feed dog food not cat food and mix in some frozen veg from the supermarket. I personally if it had gone into brumation I would of left it and would still be wary about feeding it now.
but not tinned food,as I said it has too much preservative,I once kept an open tin in my fridge for 3 months as an experiment and it did not go off.frozen veg is fine

but not tinned food,as I said it has too much preservative,I once kept an open tin in my fridge for 3 months as an experiment and it did not go off.frozen veg is fine

heaps of people feed their blue tongues on tinned dog food, mixed with frozen veg and calcium/vitamin powder. These blue tongues live long productive lives with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back