Reptile Theft & Contents Insurance

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NicG

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anyone know definitively whether reptile theft is covered by default under Contents and/or Renters insurance?
If not, can it specifically added?
How would you prove its value?

Thanks in advance,
Nic

No they are not covered and can not be covered by any insurance to my knowledge.

Animals no not covered but The tanks are covered in case of fire as I had just asked aami a few months when transferring from landlord to standard house insurance

So why wouldn't the animals be able to be insured, if you go to the trouble of specifying them? Surely it's just a matter of providing the total value and then having them adjust the cost of the policy accordingly.

You can insure other collections - art, jewellery, stamps, dolls (saw Seinfeld episode recently!) - so why should animals be any different?

The insurance company makes the decision on what they want to insure and to date none of them have decided to. Might be a good business opportunity for you if you if you want to take the gamble. Not something that I would venture into though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Animals are insured under animal insurance. your local vet should be able to give you a brochure but not sure if they do reptiles

animals are not contents there animals hence why they are not covered by standard house and contents insurance

Animals are insured under animal insurance. your local vet should be able to give you a brochure but not sure if they do reptiles

animals are not contents there animals hence why they are not covered by standard house and contents insurance
I have looked into it and snakes are not covered under animal insurance when I checked last. We have our dogs insured and none of the places that do pet insurance would cover snakes.

I think this is more something you would need to ask all the different insurance companies for a definitive answer.

You don't need to ring around, its quite simple. Home and contents insurance doesn't cover live things(humans, animals, plants etc). There are other insurances for that like health, life and pet insurance but pet insurance only covers dogs and cats.

There are companies overseas which offer pet insurance for reptiles but to the best of my knowledge, as others have stated, none is available in Aus.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

You may be able to cover the cost of them if not them specifically. My insurance when I set it up asked for an amount I'd like to be covered for, is it possible to add the cost of what your snakes are into that?

How many people would pay insurance for there reptiles?
I ask this as I would like to approach some insurance companies and see if any of them would take it on.
With this in mind what would you deem fair for a reptile and if you had a large collection 20+ pay a set price anything under that could be based on the cost of said reptile and how many you have.

Anthony
aka White Shadow

I can tell you that it probably won't be cheap when it does come.
There have been policies available in the UK for many years. Some for vet's bills, some for death. Very pricey.

Any for theft (which I think should be treated separately)?
Death and vet bills are a function of the natural order of the things, whereas burglary is an external happenstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back