Defensive woma behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorgakor

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I just brought a new woma python home the day before yesterday. It is a two year old male. He seems to be in good health, and obviously eats as he was fed the day before and still had a feeding lump. I was told that he is docile.

So when I got him home I opened the bin to put him in my rack, and at the first touch he started flailing and thrashing his body about, though not striking me at all. He reminded me of a flopping fish out of water. Once in hand he seemed alright.
The next morning he did the same thing when I quickly checked on him, spilling his water everywhere. Again once in hand he calmed down. (I had to change the paper towel, I hadn't intended on disturbing him that way so soon.)
I checked on him again this morning and he has soiled his paper, and again with the erratic flailing. I will have to handle him again briefly to clean the bin.

Is this flailing, thrashing behaviour a common trait of womas? I had a female some years ago who was a total sweetheart and never did anything of the sort. I do intend to let him settle in before I start handling him at all, other than removing him for cleankng, but do you think this is just stress and may pass?

Sounds like the SA woma I acquired a little while ago. He hasn't bitten yet but will hiss, head butt, and flail around. He calms down eventually when he isn't cornered in his enclosure. Since he is over 2m it makes getting him out for "playtime" interesting. He is just flighty and nervous.

Seems like your woma just needs some time to settle in as it could just be stress. I wouldn't be too concerned and no it is the norm for womas.

I reckon just needs to settle in. Probably just limit handling for a bit but then again every snake has there own personality. I have sweetheart Womas you can do whatever with, without any fuss and then I have ones that launch at you as soon as you open the enclosures. I love em all none the less :)

I hope it does calm down, I purchased it because I was told it was docile. I had to change the soiled bedding and it hissed and struck and was just downright rude until I picked it up lol! I hope that once I get it into a proper enclosure it will get more used to the goings on at my house and be able to watch me more and get used to me. It is in a rack at the moment until I get a new pvc cage for it.

It's just freaking out a bit. All those new smells and sights. Literally everything it it's life and everything it knows has just changed. I notice similar behavior even when I upgrade my snakes I've had for some time into the next size up enclosure. It probably feels even more vulnerable because it needs to digest. Give it heat and time. Womas have lovely temperaments and make great pets. The thrashing thing - near every Bredli I have bred does this at some stage.

It shouldn't have been fed just prior to transfer to another keeper for various reasons. One of which is the inevitable stress of the transition which will probably involve handling and of course moving to new enclosure. This is stressful for a snake and shouldn't be done whilst digesting, especially a noticeably large food item.
Were you made aware that the animal had just eaten before purchasing it?

As for the thrashing, as mentioned this is a stress reaction. Avoid handling or disturbing it as much as possible. Try not to handle it for a few weeks until it has settled down.
Also, provide plenty of cover and/or consider covering the front of the enclosure with a cloth for added security.

Last edited:
Yes as suggested let him settle in, I'm sure you knew that already. It may be possible that he isn't as used to being handled/touched as much as you'd like! Do you have a hook? This might be a better option short term. When you go to get him out do you just grab him or do you let him know he's about to be picked up? for example using the back part of your hand/ fingers and run it done his back, you'd use the hook in the same manner prior to just "grabbing" or "hooking" him. Food for thought!
cheers Chris

I do have a hook, and use it in much the same manner with my boa and one of my carpets who is always hungry. The issue with transport after being fed couldn't be helped. It was the only day I could go and pick it up, and prior I had not known it had just eaten. I will be sure to leave him alone to settle in, only taking him out if the bedding is soiled. He is in a rack with a closed door so he should not be disturbed all that much.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

You're welcome mate. It sounds like it'll be fine in your care with that approach.
Hopefully once it's settled in, it'll calm down. If it was docile before, as the previous owner has said, then it'll probably be docile again.

yer dont worry too much about the behavior as my 3yo male NT woma that ive had since yearling occasionally does this.97% of the time is docile so yer dont get alarmed if he does it randomly again a year down the track. good choice on the snake tho their a dream to have and will love all attention their given

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back