new heating innovation - thoughts?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkir7979

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thought id take the time to ask what are your thoughts on the new Reptile One Fan Heater ?Is it better than the traditional ceramic heat emitter?...anyone had any experience with this new product?

cheers

As far as I'm aware it completely destroys your heat gradient.

Not heard a single positive comment on these.
And certainly not new, been around a while.

Have been on the market for a few years! Just a gimmick type product IMO

heating

hi guys the subject came at a recent conference i was and i agree it is hard to get a gradient with them just keeping to what i know and all my snakes are happy snakes

They have been around for some time. I got one when they were new on the market.
I use the same type of 12V downlights and just sit them on the wire top of an enclosure. If I want to make them look better I cover them with a small terracotta pot or the cans that go around them in ceilings.
The Reptile One Fan Heater looks nice and mounted into the enclosure well but I did not like the noise the fan made. I also removed the bottom cover as it seemed to block a good amount of the heat you really want directed at the basking spot and it was a pain to get off and back on when a globe needed replacing.
I don’t see any benefit to the fan really. I had it in a water skink set up so it worked fine in conjunction with me adding water to the substraight. In a dry enclosure you might have more problems providing a temperature gradient. Maybe it would be useful if you wanted the air very dry to suit an arboreal desert reptile.
In the end the fan failed and stoped the light from working. I pulled it apart to see if I could fix it (I am a radio electronics tech). After I disconnected the fan completely and it has continued to work nicely as a normal heat lamp.
They are not worth the money just to look nice. I will never buy another one and will just keep using downlights as I have in the past.

Attachments

• downlight-fanheat.jpg
    downlight-fanheat.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 98
  • downlight-can.jpg
    downlight-can.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 96
Made for raising chickens not reptiles, poorly marketed.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back