Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edendj01

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've seen and heard about so many different hypos and was wondering how do you actually get a hypo? do you breed or what? thankyou! i'm still new to the different snakes

Hypo is short for hypomelanistic which just means reduced black. It is a genetic trait so it obviously comes from breeding the right animals together.

Most would agree that the two most common ones in pythons are hypo Bredli and Hypo Coastals. In Coastals it is referred to as Caramel and is confirmed as an incomplete dominant mutation so there is a homozygous “super” form.

In Bredli I think there is still some debate from my limited reading. Some people think it’s incomplete dominant (and some even think it’s compatible with Caramel Coastals) and others say it is polygenic.

As Sax says it is just reduced black pigment compared to normal wild type. The level of reduced pigment is highly variable with some people calling anything that is slightly lighter a hypo will others are significantly lighter such as T+ albinos.

As it is such a general term there are plenty of different varieties all with different modes of inheritance from co-dominant, recessive and most commonly polygenic. So it would depend on the type of hypo and which species you are referring to in regards of how to produce one. Though as Sax said it is generally genetic so you need the right parent animals.

I don't know much of the genetics side (still learning) but I ended up with 3 hypos in a clutch of 11, with the sire only being het for hypo and the dam just being a regular coastal. And hey some of them are gorgeous snakes!! Hypos are quickly becoming a favourite morph of mine! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awesome! thankyou everyone! so is there any possibility when randomly breeding getting a hypo?

I don't know much of the genetics side (still learning) but I ended up with 3 hypos in a clutch of 11, with the sire only being het for hypo and the dam just being a regular coastal. And hey some of them are gorgeous snakes!! Hypos are quickly becoming a favourite morph of mine! :D

No such thing as het for hypo sorry to say. Pictures of both parents and the hatchlings would be great, then some of us could possibly tell you whats going on.

I don't know of any recessive hypo coastal genes that would result in non-visible het for hypo. It is either a polygenic trait or co-dominant depending on the species and/or line.

Last edited:
Of course there is. Visible het is still a het
of course my mistake, when talking about hypos my head nearly always tends to think about bredli and where i stand on them being pollygenic.

Lol I can do that, just going of what I was told
This is dad
enuqetaq.jpg

And this is mum ( who I also have seen her dad, mum and sister from an older clutch and brother from the same clutch)
azamuve4.jpg

And these are the hypo hatchies
enatu3am.jpg

te5a4ena.jpg

And some of the normal hatchies
gy2ebyqy.jpg

yraganu5.jpg

Coastals are very polymorphic and you will get variation within a clutch. The breeder probably called the sire het for hypo because one of its parents would of been "hypoish" IMO the more "hypoish" babies will turn out looking more like the sire, where the "normals" will look more like the dam. It's just polygenic like the striped hatchie in the last photo but hold them back for 12 months and see how they turn out, possibly start you own project and breed them back to each other.

I'm keeping 2 of the clutch, both females and a friend is taking 3, 2 females and a male
And most of them have been sold to people I know so I will be able to see them develop :D
Well the Sire from what I know was breed from a striped coastal to a striped coastal but he was an un striped hatchling but still an amazing looking snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back