Microchipping In's and Out's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amynickid

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am thinking about getting my python micro chipped, I am in Australia on the Gold Coast/ Logan area.

I was wondering what vet's do reptile micro chipping?

risks?

procedure?

and also prices?

Thnks.

- - - Updated - - -

Beenleigh area.

Hey, I am thinking about getting my python micro chipped, I am in Australia on the Gold Coast/ Logan area.

risks?

procedure?

and also prices?

Thnks.

- - - Updated - - -

Beenleigh area.
Would be interest in the answers too.... although no vet near me would do it :( I would need to travel to Toowoomba

Reptile microchipping is becoming increasingly more popular.

Pros:

The chips themselves are smaller and harder to locate and thus remove by thieves, etc.

Cons:

There has been at least one reported case of insufficient sterilisation of the insertion point which resulted in bacterial infection causing death.

Also, if your reptile escapes I'm not sure an average member of our community would think to take it to the vets to get scanned for a microchip as they would a domestic pet.

Reptile microchipping is becoming increasingly more popular.

Pros:

The chips themselves are smaller and harder to locate and thus remove by thieves, etc.

Cons:

There has been at least one reported case of insufficient sterilisation of the insertion point which resulted in bacterial infection causing death.

Also, if your reptile escapes I'm not sure an average member of our community would think to take it to the vets to get scanned for a microchip as they would a domestic pet.

This. I think that the best way to make sure you don't lose your herp is to make sure it can't escape in the first place. But if you still want to microchip 'just because' than you best bet is to ask your local vet as all clinics will vary.

Another pro if its stolen and recovered it is much easier to prove ownership of an animal.

I have being considering it for some of my more sentimentally valuable animals or when I end up with monetary valuable animals, especially with living in share houses. As kitten says it is more to do with theft as I keep all my animals under lock and key.

I would think just about any vet would do it, no difference really as to what animal the microchip goes into...

Most probable reason I've considered it myself is for theft recovery reasons - I live in a fairly high crime area. Thankfully I have connections to some people who know people who know people so I'm pretty sure if they were ever taken I'd be able to recover them...

risks?

procedure?

and also prices?

Thnks.

- - - Updated - - -

Beenleigh area.
The vet a jindalee does snakes, green cross, Joshua I think his name is

The chip needs to go into the body cavity not under the skin, like a normal dog or cat chip and for that reason I wouldn't be taking it to any old vet... You can have it put under the skin but it is very noticeable and easily removed.

- - - Updated - - -

While this is true it has to start somewhere and eventually they will start checking.

- - - Updated - - -

This. I think that the best way to make sure you don't lose your herp is to make sure it can't escape in the first place. But if you still want to microchip 'just because' than you best bet is to ask your local vet as all clinics will vary.

In a perfect world no pets would escape but it happens.

The chip needs to go into the body cavity not under the skin, like a normal dog or cat chip and for that reason I wouldn't be taking it to any old vet... You can have it put under the skin but it is very noticeable and easily removed.

- - - Updated - - -

While this is true it has to start somewhere and eventually they will start checking.
Wrong, yet again. It would be in your best interest to get informed. The chips are smaller (as I've already said) and no longer need to be inserted into the body cavity.

Wrong, yet again. It would be in your best interest to get informed. The chips are smaller (as I've already said) and no longer need to be inserted into the body cavity.

Can you post a photo of this new smaller chip that isn't visible under the skin and can't be easily removed?

any micro chip placed under the skin regardless of it's smaller size will still be easily detected and removed by a thief...

Last edited:
Are you still unable to navigate Google?
No I can work it fine I've seen the photos of the smaller chips and they are still very noticeable and very easily removed when placed under the skin in reptiles... But you claim I'm wrong and think you know better so please educate us all...

dymu4e6y.jpg
7uhu4u9a.jpg

Photos? You can still see them and they are easily removed. Where if they are placed in the body cavity it would be very hard for the average thief to remove it...

its probably best to get some real life experience with what you are talking about not just regurgitate second hand information claiming to be an expert on the subject... I have seen (with my own eyes) these smaller micro chips Shane is talking about, yes they aren't as big as the old chips but you can still find them quiet easily even in adult snakes and they could be removed very easily with a razor blade. Why waste your time and money on a chip under the skin, when you could just go to a reptile vet and have a micro chip put into the body cavity...

Last edited:
I guess I'm not very optimistic when it comes to missing animals, I feel like it's a long shot that the opportunity for a microchip scan would even arise, especially if they're stolen. You stand a good chance if they get picked up by a snake catcher but I tend to worry more about the prospect of theft, the 2 primary species I keep are not very vigilant when it comes to finding their way out.

Other than protection from theft, what other reasons would people want a microchip?

Also why do so many keepers live in fear of thieves?

Other than protection from theft, what other reasons would people want a microchip?

Also why do so many keepers live in fear of thieves?

A fair amount of reptiles are stolen each year.
Micro chipping can help with escapee reptiles. Another thing it could be used for is by breeders with high quality lines, it's pretty common that doggy sellers claim the snake is from a quality line to try an get higher value.

Obviously not a reptile expert but having dogs forever, microchiping is only good if the owner remembers to pay the fees and keep all their details up to date.
2. Chips can Migrate. If the person scanning isn't thorough, the chip will not be picked up.
3. The chip may work when initially inserted then fail later down the track. I've known this to happen.
4. Stollen pets are not usually taken to vets for fear of the animal been chipped.

Imo, if you own animals of value or just loved pets, you'd be better off having a house alarm, video surveillance etc.

Facebook users should make their info private - I see so many rep owners advertising what they own, etc. Thats asking for trouble.

I won't microchip my reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back