Local council limits - what is your experience?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Channaz

I have recently become aware of some of the absurd limits placed on reptile ownership by various local councils in Victoria. While reptile keepers must have a licence from DEPI, some local councils have limits on the numbers of reptiles that may be kept.

For example, I noted the following limits:

Knox City Council: 5 reptiles
Melton City Council: 2 reptiles
Warrnambool City Council: "nil" reptiles
City of Whitehorse: 5 reptiles
City of Yarra: 2 reptiles

If you look on the council websites, there is some very conflicting information. For example, Warrnambool states "nil" reptiles, but turtles and tortoises (yes, tortoises... I am placing my order for a Galapagos pair tomorrow) are permitted. Melton also gives the green light for tortoises.

Most councils have very tight limits on rodents, which is of clear relevance to reptile keepers. Few councils mention anything about amphibians, thankfully.

Permits for extra reptiles can be expensive (if they are granted); in Knox it is $188.

Since Warrnambool seemed to be particularly restrictive, I rang them, but they then said that reptiles were permitted, despite what it said on their website.

In some cases, obtaining a permit means asking all of the neighbours with properties adjoining yours if it is ok for you to obtain extra reptiles. In such a case, you are commonly required to list all the species you keep, as well as those you intend to acquire. In my case, I own elapids and can scarcely imagine what my neighbours' reactions might be to that, if they were required to be told.

I know there is one old thread on this subject, but I am curious about how others have experienced this issue. Do people ignore the limits, as I suspect? Has anyone experienced trouble out of this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently the council is not interested unless a complaint is made and there has to be grounds for complaint e.g. smell or noise or some other kind of nuisance which is very unlikely for reptiles.

DEPI is a state department, and as far as I know state laws trump council laws(especially when it's something that relates to personal property) so stuff 'em!
I believe we're allowed to keep up to 20 of any species(outside of breeding) and as many species as our license level dictates.

DEPI is a state department, and as far as I know state laws trump council laws(especially when it's something that relates to personal property) so stuff 'em!
I believe we're allowed to keep up to 20 of any species(outside of breeding) and as many species as our license level dictates.

There is no limits on numbers from the DEPI or at least not yet. Though state law doesn't trump council law unfortunately. However as others have said I just wouldn't let your local council know they are a useless waste of money.

Woops, I had 4 reptiles when I used to live in Melton. :lol:

I'm pretty sure theres a whole bunch of snakes and rats living in Melton...

- - - Updated - - -

There is no limits on numbers from the DEPI or at least not yet. Though state law doesn't trump council law unfortunately. However as others have said I just wouldn't let your local council know they are a useless waste of money.

Ah cool, I'm thinking they just carried over the old DSE rules, which I'm sure I read had a 20 per species limit...

These limits are ridiculous and were no doubt formulated by individuals with little or no experience with reptiles. However, I do suspect that these things will become more common, as council after council tries to achieve "best practice" by mimicking what others have done.

I think reptile keepers should be aware of what is happening, particularly in our own localities. If you are going to ignore limits in your area, then at least be aware of what it is you are ignoring. I am sure that one day, someone will be made an example of somewhere... unless that has already happened?

We are licensed by state government departments, but with this increasing extra layer of regulation coming from local councils. We are being put in the same basket as dog and cat regulation, even though we are already regulated by the states. Both the limits and fees for extra animals are an absolute joke.

It's simply wrong, but at least be aware of it.

Ah cool, I'm thinking they just carried over the old DSE rules, which I'm sure I read had a 20 per species limit...

There has never been a limit from DSE or DEPI for recreational license holders as far as I'm aware except for emus. There used to be a limit on the numbers that demonstrators could hold maybe that is what you read.

There has never been a limit from DSE or DEPI for recreational license holders as far as I'm aware except for emus. There used to be a limit on the numbers that demonstrators could hold maybe that is what you read.

You are exactly correct sir, that is what I read, forgot it was emu specific.
How awesome is it though that as long as they're housed correctly, in Victoria you can own up to 20 emus privately on a basic license!?

Yeah the Vic system is pretty good, the only draw back is it's hard work having new species added. I just had a quick look at the regs, its up to 10 self sufficient emus.

There is a limit of 20 venomous being brought into Queensland soon.

Edit: I shouldn't say venomous , it is dangerous that the limit applies to and in suburban areas.

There is a limit of 20 venomous being brought into Queensland soon.

Edit: I shouldn't say venomous , it is dangerous that the limit applies to and in suburban areas.
So by 'dangerous' will this supposedly include scrubs ect?

Scrubs are on an advanced here in Vic, which honestly I think is quite fine, though so are roughies, and until recently womas...

Scrubs are on an advanced here in Vic, which honestly I think is quite fine, though so are roughies, and until recently womas...

I recently purchased a young scrubby (finally!:D) and you just scared the life outta me! They're on a basic here in Vic :)

As for local council regs, stuff em. As far as I'm concerned, an animal that lives (for all intents and purposes anyway) inside my house and inside its enclosure 24/7 is none of the council's business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back