Halogen vs Reflector Light Globes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halogen vs Reflector Globes

• Halogens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reflector Globes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdsixtyone

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just having a quick brainstorm of what I'd like to include in some new banks and racks that I will be building in the upcoming weeks. A topic I've been throwing around in my head for quiet awhile is what type of heating is best. I do use MVB globes for Monitors but they aren't suited in smaller enclosures so I was trying to come up with an alternative. I know heat cords is the way to go with snakes but I'm more after an answer for lizards, particularly dragons. I've personally used both and have had good results. I find halogens to be great for providing a concentrated hotspot within smaller areas (tubs for example) where as I find Reflector globes to be better suited in enclosures that require a much broader basking spot. Now this is when I start throwing it around. I know light globes are rather cheap but so are halogens. I find them easy to work with being small and compact. I've also heard that if you take the glass piece out of a halogen light they will admit a small amount of UVB.The point I'm trying to find out is wether halogens are suitable to use for reptiles and could they be suitable to use in a rack type setup with tubs for hatchlings. I've spoken to a few tradesmen from my work (electricians) and they all have mixed replies. Some say they would be fine and others say no. Humidity is also a factor that comes in to play. I also hear constant stories about how Halogens apparently can damage reptiles eyes. Can anyone back this up or is it just a theory. So what do you prefer to use? If you have any information to add please feel free to comment.

Removing the glass from a halogen makes them very dangerous if they decide to explode (this is part of the reason they have the glass on the face, the other is to stop uvc). They do not produce enough uvb to be useful so IMO i would just use them for heat not uv.

As said halogens work well for tight basking spots, t5's work well on rack setups so maybe look into them for uvb.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back