Greetings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers pinefamily, the 200 is going great guns. Getting to and maintaining the set temps. The second one is off but can be turned on if needed.
More you say? I think you are right :D

He's a great looking guy, don't forget a nice hiding place for bob too it will help him feel secure in his new surrounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks bdav70, the hide that came with Bob is way too big for his viv. I'll have to sell it or swap it for a smaller one with someone

A quick and cheap option for a hide (even if temporary) is a cat litter tray. We have a black one in our jungle's enclosure.

Good hides that are cheap a can look good are wicker baskets, just cut away the part at the handle and you've got an entrance to a hide :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A tray is a great idea, I can coat it with silicone and cover it with the bedding material so it blends in :)

Thanks damian83. I've put a cardboard A4 ream box in there for the moment. Allydina (11yr old) want's to buy a plastic container and use expand-a-foam to cover and sculpt it into a rock and then paint it. She's obsessed with the colour yellow so brace yourself Bob, you may have a yellow rock :)
He started to enter his his then he turned around so was a ⅓ of the way in, his back and his head were out and then proceeded to back one out.
It looked small for such a big snake. I wonder if he's not hungry. I first fed him on a Sunday then 2 Sundays later, this is his 3rd Sunday so have not fed him.
The previous owner was giving me conflicting details, from once a month to one every 3 months. Now that that surely couldn't be right could it? Most people are feeding once a fortnight that I read.
I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" question but a few more opinions wouldn't go astray.
Cheers

Some people don't feed through winter, say April/May through to Augustish.
Snakes naturally like to brumate(a lesser form of hibernation) through winter and a lot of the time stop eating. It is also vital for breeding, slowing the metabolism and dropping the core temp encourages viable sperm and egg development.
It's not a necessary really unless you're breeding, but in captivity some snakes will still naturally go through this process of their own accord.
Most owners who don't breed will simply maintain the same temps through winter and continue to feed as normal.
So the information you were given isn't conflicting at all when seen this way.

Snakes can go quite a long time - up to 12 months on occasion - without food, with no adverse effects to their health at all. Their bodies and metabolism are completely different to mammals.

As for a hide suggestion, I like to use terracotta pots broken in half for my larger guys. They fit in them quite easily, they're really cheap and they hold heat well so make ideal hides and basking spots. My big Bredli always spends his late mornings sunning himself on top of his pot after getting enough warmth in him inside it to move for the day :)

Cheers Jacknife, appreciate the response.
I've no intention of breeding Bob. Sadly I don't have the time to spare that would be involve with breeding.

Both times that I fed him, he was sitting in one spot, neck in an "S" pose as if he was ready to strike. Could be coincidence?
Is there a sure fire way to tell when they are hungry?

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers Jacknife, appreciate the response.
I've no intention of breeding Bob. Sadly I don't have the time to spare that would be involve with breeding.

Both times that I fed him, he was sitting in one spot, neck in an "S" pose as if he was ready to strike. Could be coincidence?
Is there a sure fire way to tell when they are hungry?

A lot snakes will sit in this 'ready' position most of the time really...
you can usually tell when they're hungry as they're more active, moving about a lot more 'searching' for food...

Just thought I'd post up an update since the remodelling of the Casa Del Bob.

My Bredli was acquired a month ago. He lived on only a heat mat and newspaper. I knew naught about keeping snakes a month ago. :)

What I have learnt from these forums 3 weeks before my licence arrived was invaluable.

Now my Bredli lives in a heavily insulated glass tank, with overhead heating and is now being kept at 32c during the day and 24c at night. He never had a hide, now he does and after 4 days he's finally started to use it properly. He wasn't sure so slept half in half out until 6pm last night.
The heat mat was never on a thermostat just running continuously. I never did get a temperature reading before the remodelling though :(
I've now created an environment where there is a 32c hot spot and a 22c cold spot.
With a 10c gradient over 6 feet, Bob is very active, moving around, stretched out or curled up on his log. Previously he spent all of his time curled up tight over his heat mat.
The previous owner visited on Saturday and said that I had done a great job with the remodelling, new substrate and the heating.

I made one more change last night where I sandwiched some cement sheeting between the CHE mount and the roof of the viv. My temperature gun arrived the other day and the lid that the CHE was bolted to was 40c and I noticed that it had started to buckle hence the need for the mod.
20140718_013420.jpg

This evening I took the opportunity to install the above plug since the wiring had to be redone to accommodate the cement sheet. Now I can pull the plug and the door comes away without any cord attached to it :)
I'm happy to report that since the cement sheeting, the temp at the top of the door is the same. No drop in temperature at all :(

As for Bob, he is moving around heaps, stretched out along his log or curled up in different parts of his palace :)
He uses the hide when I try to handle him, I can get him out of the viv but as soon as he's out he makes a run for his hide.
The more he's handled the better he'll become?
Hopefully I can teach an old snake new tricks.

I am off to check out a beardie tomorrow. The obsession has kicked in it would seem.

Last edited:
Beardie acquired.

Also bought a frog tank the other day. Now for some plants and then some frogs :)

Addicted much?

Thanks wilburs1. There are some stunning snakes around. I'd love a rainbow myself and a really high yellow albino :)
I started with acquiring an adult snake and within a month I've got a bearded dragon and now I'm about to get some frogs :D

The wife said that she wanted a frill neck. Coming from the wife, that's saying something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back