DA with an R.I.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Varanus

Treatment of a juvenile Death Adder with a Respiratory Infection (R.I). I've not treated such a small Death Adder before and found the usual techniques of pinning/ tubing unsatisfactory (to say the least), what with their death rolling and ability to bite through their own bottom jaw if so desired when head pinning, so have adopted the following for future reference. "Fortum" has been the drug of choice, as Baytril can result in necrosis at the injection site. After 2 weeks of treatment, the results are all negative, which is positive for the little Addy:). No necrosis at the injection site(s)...fortum's a great alternative to Baytril IMO.

Any further suggestions much appeciated:)?!

Attachments

• DA with R.I 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    DA with R.I 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 112
  • DA with R.I 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    DA with R.I 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 102
  • DA with R.I 006 [1600x1200].jpg
    DA with R.I 006 [1600x1200].jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DA with R.I 007 [1600x1200].jpg
    DA with R.I 007 [1600x1200].jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DA with R.I 009 [1600x1200].jpg
    DA with R.I 009 [1600x1200].jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 135
  • DA with R.I 010 [1600x1200].jpg
    DA with R.I 010 [1600x1200].jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 103
Thanks for sharing IV, people like you willing to share your ideas is invaluable.
looking to get into owning a elapid next year and this may be need in the future.
thanks

Glad it's of some use:). When I mention "adopted the following", I mean just that. I'm certain other keepers have used zip lock plastic bags for similar applications.

Good stuff Richard, glad the little fella is on the mend.
Also good to see you are publicising such clever husbandry techniques.

The bag trick for small venomous snakes has been around for quite a while. I first used the idea after seeing it on an overseas site. It is a trick that elapid keepers should know and I was very surprised that a very well known reptile vet did not know about it when I showed him a few years back.

Thanks for sharing Richard. My Adder collection is growing now and trying to head small ones is always an adrenaline raising endeavour. I've also heard of guys simply grabbing them between a folder paper towel. Does the bag make it virtually impossible to bite through or is it more just for ease of control?

Thanks for sharing Richard. My Adder collection is growing now and trying to head small ones is always an adrenaline raising endeavour. I've also heard of guys simply grabbing them between a folder paper towel. Does the bag make it virtually impossible to bite through or is it more just for ease of control?

I found it works well for both, Sax. Not surprisingly, as soon as the needle point went in I was getting a whole gamut of squirming, flipping, death rolls (no good with a pinned head) and, a new one to me, locking the mouth open (perhaps due to difficulty in breathing with the R.I?).....that's what I should have taken pic of:)! Anyway, the bag put an end to all this, thankfully.

Awesome advice - lifesaving for it and potentially the keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back