Stimson python active after feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeSensi

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Just a quick question. I have had my stimmy for just over half a year now and every time I have fed him after he is finished eating he will always go and curl up in his warm hide and remain there for a decent period of time.

But tonight he is zooming around his enclosure pushing his hides around flipping one over and just being unusually active he hasn't sat still yet. Nothing has changed in his enclosure but he seems like he really wants to get out. Anyone heard of this before?

Thanks in advance.

He could be in feed mode still and is basically searching for food. You've had him 6 months, is he full grown? if not have you increased his food size since you've had him?
Perhaps offer him another food item and see what he does...

Thanks for the reply :)

I have increased his food size 3 times since I have had him hoppers, weaned and now adult mice. He was a yearling when I got him so he is a year and a half old now so I guess he is fully grown?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply :)

I have increased his food size 3 times since I have had him hoppers, weaned and now adult mice. He was a yearling when I got him so he is a year and a half old now so I guess he is fully grown?

Thanks

Not at all, snakes never stop growing. They reach adulthood and slow their growth rate around 2 1/2 - 3 years old, but as long as they're feeding they'll keep growing.
Try switching from adult mice to weaner/small rats, much better for your snake.

Not at all, snakes never stop growing. They reach adulthood and slow their growth rate around 2 1/2 - 3 years old, but as long as they're feeding they'll keep growing.
Try switching from adult mice to weaner/small rats, much better for your snake.

Thanks for that, last nights feed was the last in the packet so I might try some rats for his next feed. Hopefully he takes to them well :)

Thanks

Id go with still hungry as well, my 4yo stimmi is on small rats from memory, she didnt reach her adult size until 3ish due to her perpetual not eating through winter habbit.

Id go with still hungry as well, my 4yo stimmi is on small rats from memory, she didnt reach her adult size until 3ish due to her perpetual not eating through winter habbit.

Thanks for that :) I will try some rats for his next feed and see how he goes :)

Just be aware that he may not switch from mice to rats so easily but give it a go and see how he goes.

he could also be coming up for a shed as you said he was pushing up against his hide, this would indicate to me that he is trying to scratch off his slough and remove it from his new scales. has he been laying in his water bowl or moving around rubbing up against his enclosure or the items inside?

- - - Updated - - -

Just be aware that he may not switch from mice to rats so easily but give it a go and see how he goes.

with that being said buy some mice as well because if he doesn't take the rat straight away, rub the mice (preferably the genitals its the most stinkiest area) on the head of the rat so it begins to smell like mice.

also try day old chickens they are good feed there isn't so much fat on them like rats

This relates to a question of mine, whereby my stimmie is sometimes (maybe every 4th feed or so) also goes 'on the hunt' after being fed. If I'm feeding an item between 15-20% body weight (fuzzies) every 5 days (he's 6 months old, temps between 32 and 34 on the hot end with meat cord+tile), on these occasions is it a good idea to give him a second feed item? Or stick to the normal feeding regime?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back