Python Striking!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WomaBoy

Reaction score
Hey guys! I was just feeding my 6yo bredli python, only my second feed with him as i have only just got him. After i feed him and he had just finished his food - a jumbo rat. i went to double his temps as i touched the lock to open the cage, he striked as me twice. Was this purely because he was in food mode??? I just wanted to double check :) i know what i did was stupid aswell so please dont lay into me.

Thats funny you say that. My coastal did the same thing tonight. Flinched at me after he finished his rat like he was still hungry.
But thats coz I open his cage to top up his water...
He had never struck or bluffed me before

I only just got Bob a 14 year old Bredli and after a feed, he relocates his jaw and curls up in his baking corner.
I've only fed him twice. As he is new the fascination has yet to wear off so my 11 year old and I watch him for a while. He's never done anything similar

I feed multiple items so mine keep striking until the food stops coming.

feed mode response, easiest way to calm him and avoid a possible injury(to him) is to throw a sheet/blanket over his enclosure till the next day, shouldn't have a problem with him striking after feeding with that...

Happens to me all the time. They get feisty after food.

its only because he is still wanting a fed that's why pet shops advice not to handle the python after they have fed as they can fill up then stop eating for so long. its like feeding a child with a growth spurt they will keep wanting food once it has just been given to them. :)

its only because he is still wanting a fed that's why pet shops advice not to handle the python after they have fed as they can fill up then stop eating for so long. its like feeding a child with a growth spurt they will keep wanting food once it has just been given to them. :)

The reason not to handle a python after its just fed is because doing so can lead to it regurgitating the meal.

This doesn't make English...

Huh???[emoji12]

The reason you dont handle after a feed is because they can upchuck thier dinner.

If you feed your python out side of there enclosure how do you put them back after a feed. (I hope to get my first python in 4 weeks and want to know as much about feeding as I can)
Google is a good but also a bad spot to take advice from.

it is also due to them still wanting food. yes they throw it their food up due to stress. but they strike before hand because of 2 reasons fear and hunger

it is also due to them still wanting food. yes they throw it their food up due to stress. but they strike before hand because of 2 reasons fear and hunger

Every post before yours has mentioned these two things, yours just made no sense to anybody.

And [MENTION=40106]whiteshadow[/MENTION] - it's fine to pick them up and put them back in their enclosure. What you shouldn't do is handle them in the sense of havign them out handling them for an extended period of time.
Personally I don't see the point of getting them out to feed, there's absolutely no empirical evidence to say it makes a single difference to feeding habits.

Every post before yours has mentioned these two things, yours just made no sense to anybody.

And [MENTION=40106]whiteshadow[/MENTION] - it's fine to pick them up and put them back in their enclosure. What you shouldn't do is handle them in the sense of havign them out handling them for an extended period of time.
Personally I don't see the point of getting them out to feed, there's absolutely no empirical evidence to say it makes a single difference to feeding habits.
Thank you for that. I will not worry about it and feed in her enclosure.

I have found feeding out side their enclosure is better as they don't try to go me when I go to get them out. I know a lot of people say it makes no difference but I have noticed a difference with one of my spotted's. I originally fed in her enclosure and every time I would open it she would go into strike mode thinking I was feeding her again. Now that we feed her in a tub she isn't so snap happy when we go to get her out. We also did this with our new additions (womb & Bredli) and have not had any problems with they with up chucking their dinner or striking at us. If you let them settle after they have eaten and then put them back in there is no problem just don't over handle after they have been fed.

I agree Tiffany, I did an experiment last year and after 8 years of not feeding in their enclosures I tried feeding in enclosures. Within 3 feeds I had 8/10 pythons striking at me when I opened their enclosures instead of the usual 2/10. I'm back to feeding out of enclosures and back to having approachable snakes.

I feed all my other snakes in a tub, but this one had been fed inside the tank all its life, so its best i stick to that, but the other snakes will be fed out of the tank. Thanks :)

Never had a problem feeding inside the enclosure I think people think too much about feeding snakes. I have no problems just chucking the food item in there. Never had problems wacking my hands in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back