Next sticky question NSW reptiles in pet shops

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junglelove

Reaction score
ok so I am helping write procedures for reptiles to he housed and sold in NSW pet shops.

My MAJOR concern is that the people writing the legislations have NO clue what they are talking about! the shop has been told they can not have any substrate what so ever in their turtle tank, skinks and dragons should be misted daily for humidity (um hello lung infections) snake are to be fed twice a week, if a blue tongue doesn't shed properly soak if for ten to twenty minutes then rub with a towel. (if its not ready to come off you are going to damage the scales AND there is probably an underlying problem as to why it is not shedding)
They want this stuff in customer care sheets!!!!

My problem is everyone say to just agree with them other wise the shop doesn't get the license and I will never win against the people making the laws!!

how are we going to get the right message across to people if the people who right this stuff have no idea them self!!!

AAGGGHHHH SSOOO FRUSTRATED!

ok so I am helping write procedures for reptiles to he housed and sold in NSW pet shops.

Why? Regulations have already been put in place,have you even read them ?

Last edited:
So your on the Gold Coast and allege you helping to write procedures for reptiles to be housed and sold in NSW pet shops? I don't think so. As Ramsayi has eluded i believe this has already been legislated.

Nsw already has legislation. The ACT needs to be looked at next!
There are shops that are spreading bad advice about poor husbandry and dietary advice. Seems to be a popular trend with turtles especially as there doesn't seem to be any "experts". Most pet shops here recommend turtle dinners, roo mince, and plant matter for long necks!

Writing procedures for the shop should simply reflect the current legislation....Not rocket science

um have you not seen a map of the gold coast I live in NSW

- - - Updated - - -

I am trying to give people the right care info for their reptiles as I am WELL AWARE that the wrong info is being given out. AND IT IS THE PEOPLE giving out the licenses that are telling the pet shops to put it in the care sheets - as I mentioned before THEY want me to put in that you have to mist your bearded dragon and blue tongue daily for humidity and I know this is WRONG

If you have personally read the legislation I would LOVE to see it I have requested it several times. Each pet shop in NSW is given different info every time as its not the same NPWS person dealing with that shop!

We are the most northern pet shop on the border so yes im on the Gold Coast which is ALSO classed as NSW!! read a map!!

Do I not sign the paper work because I know the info I wrong or do I sign it to keep NPWS happy

If it was me I would write only what is stated in the legeslated requirements.
Not word of mouth or advice or even your own opinions. If you go outside of the legislation you could be held responsible when it goes wrong!

Verbal advice you give however can be based upon your own belief without evidence that can be used against you. See where this is coming from?

My MAJOR concern is that the people writing the legislations have NO clue what they are talking about! the shop has been told they can not have any substrate what so ever in their turtle tank, skinks and dragons should be misted daily for humidity (um hello lung infections) snake are to be fed twice a week, if a blue tongue doesn't shed properly soak if for ten to twenty minutes then rub with a towel. (if its not ready to come off you are going to damage the scales AND there is probably an underlying problem as to why it is not shedding)
They want this stuff in customer care sheets!!!!

Hi mate
just to clarify, are you writing procedures for a shop you're working for that wishes to apply for the retail reptile trading licence?
If so, they are just after the SOP's of how the individual shop handles things. The shop I used to work for was one of the first to be granted the retail reptile licence, and we had in our application and care sheets weekly feeding routines for pythons, gravel in turtle aquariums etc. We passed all inspections without fail. Maybe consult with other NSW shops and seek their advice as opposed to a hobbyist forum?
If you're not comfortable writing the documents, then don't- or at least till you have a copy of the legislation in front of you to cross reference it. If the shop wants your care sheets badly, then make having a copy of the legislation in front of you the ultimatum, they'll have to cave in eventually.

This is not directly on-topic, but very related and something I've been curious about of late.

I've been out of the hobby for a couple of years, and have since been told recently that a shop in NSW has reptiles on display in their store. I'm assuming the legislation around the display of live reptiles in NSW pet shops has changed in the last 1-2 years. Can anyone point me to some information about when this happened and what the details are?

The legislation you seek plus some other possibly relevant information can be accessed from this page on dept website: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/wildlifelicences/ReptileCode.htm It is in PDF form.

There is a Pet Industry Association of Australia (PIAA), previous known as PIJAC, that may be worth contacting to see if they can bring pressure to bear on changing the abysmal arrangements for shop licensing as the currently stand, based on what you have told us. PIAA produced a self regulatory guide to welfare of animals, very general of course, so they might be interested. Here is the address of both the association and the guide: http://piaa.net.au/ http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/as...are-code-of-practice-animals-in-pet-shops.pdf

The Australian Freshwater Turtles Forum Care Sheet is the most authoritative word on the subject and they recommend a specific substrate and then provide a very clear rationale for it. Unfortunately, respected reptile vet David Vella recommends that no substrate is a good idea as it makes it easier for cleaning purposes. I reckon he may have seen one too many lazy turtle keepers with a sick animal from poor water quality. Yet as the Latta's explain, the right substrate does a lot to improve water quality. Anyway, you can send the bureacrat a copy of this if you like: http://www.australianfreshwaterturtles.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10725&d=1394671342 - top of p6.

Blue

Do I not sign the paper work because I know the info I wrong or do I sign it to keep NPWS happy

Since when has the NSW NPWS regulated the pet shop reptile industry in NSW?

Shop owners I know of have had to apply and comply with DPI requirements in terms of husbandry requirements. As far as I was aware, reptile keeping requirements in NSW pet shops is not a NPWS jurisdiction, it is a DPI one. Might be why you are not getting the legislation you are asking for from NPWS (...actually legislation is available online - it is probably the regulatory requirements you are referring to).

I know one pet shop in particular who recently got their approval dealt with DPI in relation to the areas you mention.....maybe NPWS handed it over to them in that case?......Did you paperwork and applications for keeping reptiles in a pet store come NPWS?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back