Python not feeding :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossco84

Reaction score
Hey all,

My Diamond Slippery hasn't fed now for over 4 months... Is this usual behaviour for this time of year ?? Have tried to feed her twice in the last month.. She will show a bit of interest at first but no joy.. Her Rats are heated normal body temps.. But after a while she gives up.... PLEASE HELP

Cheers in advance

A bit more info may be helpful
Hot spot temp?
Age of the python?
Did anything change 4mths ago?
But generally yes alot of pythons will stop eating over winter

Hotspot is 28 C.. and nothing has changed in her behaviour in the last few months. Always happy to be handled :)

Try bumping up the hotspot to 32-34 degrees unless you're running lower temps intentionally for winter. Doesn't sound too out of the ordinary for this time of the year

mine hasn't eaten for as long as i can remember. Probably a good 9 months. I wouldn't worry yet.

Try bumping up the hotspot to 32-34 degrees unless you're running lower temps intentionally for winter. Doesn't sound too out of the ordinary for this time of the year
Diamond shouldn't need a hotspot over 28C as they are temperate species snakes coming from the NSW coast south of about Port Macquarie. There is some suggestion that keeping them too hot will "burn them out" so I think 28C is best.

i had the same problem with my python tried her on quail and now feeds every time good luck

Hot spot of 32-34 in my opinion is way too high for a diamond.
This time of year mine have 3-4 hours at 28-30 hot spot and no more heating.

Sorry, now see others beast me to it. Didn't read to the end before posting this.

+1 on the diamond temps, definitely don't need to be too high. My diamonds hot spot never goes over 30 and she's never missed a feed. She gets agitated and tries to escape if the temps get too high.

There's a lot of missing info in this thread ( location, day/night temps etc.) but in general probably due to cooler ambient temps. Wait until the weather warms up around September and try again.

Its winter.

I dont feed my Diamonds in winter and dont know anyone who does. Last feed is always in April and dont even offer food until late september early October.
Some may not take food until November ...... so , dont worry about it .... and i agree Norm - more info needed , but answer is still same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back