Opinions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say what I felt was wrong with this forum, but it'd probably be deleted and I'd get infractions/banned.

I'd say what I felt was wrong with this forum, but it'd probably be deleted and I'd get infractions/banned.

Thats why you have been given an open door option to voice it via PM.

It obviously isn't that bad or you wouldn't use the forum but you as many probably have aspects that you don't like and this is a chance to b constructive about what you think is wrong and have some input to how you would like it so it would be good if you choose to take this chance to improve our forum.

I don't always post or comment but I read on here lots. I go through stages with real life being so busy it's hard sometimes. I have found my time on here quite pleasant lol I got into a bit of trouble at the start but mods weren't too harsh on me.

To be honest I think facebook is a great sorce of info especially in the larger groups like Inverts & Herps but I rather the forums simply because its a lot more concentrated and there seems to be a wider and larger ammount of extremely knowledgable people. As for the activity, I haven't been on here for that long but if there is a slow then it's probably due to reptiles preparing to shutdown for winter or have already shut down and are waiting for warmer weather to role in.

I have noticed a slowdown, a lot more than last year. Just look at he number of unread topics on the main page.
A lot of people have moved over to facebook groups because they are sick of people on here getting easily offended and jumping up and down over nothing.
The Australian Representative herp body thread is a classic. For each post someone puts that is constructive someone writes something retarded in response and then kicks up a stink when they get called out on it. A few thin skinned and easily offended individuals on here are pushing people away.

Most of my more serious herping friends scoff at me being on this board. It doesn't have a good reputation and I've seen some of the reasons why as Marcus0002 already described. Lots of people wait to pounce on folks for any reason. People seem to behave in a more "adult" manner on FB because it is less anonymous.

Look at the name for aussie reptile keepers association thread for more of this

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I have noticed a slowdown, a lot more than last year. Just look at he number of unread topics on the main page.
A lot of people have moved over to facebook groups because they are sick of people on here getting easily offended and jumping up and down over nothing.
The Australian Representative herp body thread is a classic. For each post someone puts that is constructive someone writes something retarded in response and then kicks up a stink when they get called out on it. A few thin skinned and easily offended individuals on here are pushing people away.
Doesn't that sort of thing violate the rule that states be tolerant of other members? And assuming this forum has this option, but do they not know what an ignore list is and how to use it? Call me ignorant but I don't see why people have such a problem with this forum and why they take things to heart. I see more of that sort of thing on Facebook then on here. I did see a while ago someoen on Facebook black listed this forum, maybe this is another reason why you are seeing a slow down. People tend to act like sheep in the fact that they follow each other and believe everything they read

Last edited:
I don't know what am ignore list is

I think its a huge mistake not permitting links from facebook or other sites
It automatically removes a huge percentage of possible members

I dont post much now
Anything remotely controversial or critical gets slammed or deleted so whats the point

Example sponsors can say whatever they like without a shred of proof
But dare to ask for proof or categorically prove them wrong and instant deletion

I don't know what am ignore list is

Ok I checked and yes this forum has it. If you have a problem with a member, you go to their profile and click add to ignore list on the side, whoever is on that list can not see your post (I think you can't see theirs either)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 282
So .... People that enjoy this site.... What we guna do?.... I also agree that the sponsors r protected more so than just Tom dick and Harry on here ... Just saying ;)

They have to protect thier sponsers
if they decide to leafe aps .
then aps would probs start asking membership fees if that happens everyone is gona go over to facebook

I think everyone is on facebook. Just an easier setup with instant answers as you can chat directly. So active too, could spend hours everyday in reptile related groups. Way easier for selling, more audience. ect.

So I`ve been having an SMS chat with [MENTION=40163]PDM_Pythons[/MENTION] and it prompted me to bring up this thread again. Surely the lack of activity on this site is starting to concern people, especially the Mods and sponsors. Something has to be done to get members actively using this site again.

A few things over the last year or so that have slipped. It sucked not having a calendar. We have/had quite a few talented people posting some stunning photos. The voting process was great as well and must have created interest in the site. The lack of footy tipping this year was a bit of a let down as well. There were some great prizes up for grabs last year.

Maybe some competitions and links to social media would be good and attract people back to the forum. This forum still has plenty of reach with being near the top of most reptile related google searches but maybe creating an accompanying facebook page to promote the forum would help increase the range.

APS doesn't have the best reputation so it would take a fair bit to change people's minds and get some of the great members we have lost posting again.

I too ran a large motorcycle forum and no matter you do, Facebook is easier as it integrates with what the user is currently doing, surfing Facebook.

The sponsors are the lifeblood of a forum. They need to be protected to a degree but not to the detriment of its members.
I've no idea of the sites history but I have made some observations.

Ok so I posted that I wired stuff up and was slapped with an official warning. As a newbie to the site a simple PM could have sufficed.
Strict moderation is needed to keep the site "content safe" for mass consumption. Moderators are the first to be slammed no matter what they decide to do, be it positive or negative. You can't and never will keep everyone happy.

I use the "New Posts" link to get the latest posts however some 90%of the results are for sale items. There is far too much noise to sift through. This can be achieved by customising that particular search omitting the for sale posts. Otherwise it resembles an online bazaar.

The disallowing of links is a bad call in my opinion. It limits reach and it akin to stunting ones growth.
Use google adwords to drive extra revenue so the site can run competitions with prizes.

The means of attracting members is fairly simple, retaining them is, well, an entire different set of challenges.

Good luck with it all.

Vic

I agree with MrVIc's suggestions even the ability to cull out certain results in searches like Ebay does in its advanced options although I am not sure how hard it is to achieve. A few competitions certainly should generate new interest and also regular traffic. A very good definition of a ****zu by the way, should be on Wikipedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back