GTP substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PrecisionPythons

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi to all GTP owners

just wondering what sort of substrate people are using. I use newspaper ATM however have done some research and it seems sphagnum moss is also very popular.

I use Sphagnum moss, retains water but also dries out well provided not too much of it is used at once.

Seconding Sphagnum moss: it holds humidity, it's easy to clean, cheap, easy to rehydrate, smells nice, plus it's lovely and soft.

i use a mix of coir peat, and exoterra jungle earth. looks very natura And quite inexpensive.

10417632_1497752623789865_154117951092007425_n.jpg

Sounds good, I may give sphagnum moss a try. Is it ok if the GTPs digest it ?

I use adults under pads,they are great , my enclosures are 36x24x24 outside dimensions. The pads are 36"x30"inches they have a plastic under side, nothing leaks, Also I spray the pad enough to keep the humidity between average of 70% and sprinkle a little moss for a natural look. The downside is I change the pad on every defecation, like a baby diaper. Lol...the are expensive so to speak.

^ curious about these pads. What sort of pads are you talking about here?

Substrate depends on the animal and circumstance. I use sphagnum moss for hatchlings and juveniles, paper towel or newspaper for animals that are recovering, and no substrate in some circumstances. Typically adults have 'soft fall' wood chips covering the floor in their room.

They are bed pads for adults that are bed ridden, mainly for maximum absorbency, I purchase at Rite Aid Pharmacy for about 15 USD, for 36 pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back