Biggest wild carpet python I have encountered!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockett85

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I found this big beautiful girl today basking in a sunny spot on a road in the Byron bay hinterland. She was roughly 9-10ft easy and after a quick photo she was moved deeper into the bush and away from harms way. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406441187.645283.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome good too see big beautiful healthy ones still around thanks for sharing!!

Gee you just picked her up?
I wouldn't have had the balls to do that lol

Anthony
aka White Shadow

Very nice snake!
But there is certainly no need to pick it up.

Was waiting for a reply like this. No I guess not should have just let it get squashed by the cars that were coming up behind me.

Then it sounds like you were intentionally setting bait.
There's plenty of better ways to handle a snake than stressing it out by grasping it by the head.
But good on you for moving it out of the way, illegal or not.

Don't be ridiculous I was not setting bait I was simply showing an amazing snake. With cars behind me and nothing else I could use except for spindly twigs to remove the snake from the road I made the decision to grab it and remove it. There are just so many people on this site that feel the need to put in their 2 cents so I was always expecting backlash.

Don't be ridiculous I was not setting bait I was simply showing an amazing snake. With cars behind me and nothing else I could use except for spindly twigs to remove the snake from the road I made the decision to grab it and remove it. There are just so many people on this site that feel the need to put in their 2 cents so I was always expecting backlash.

And I agree with you. It is amazing. And I understand not everyone carries a hook with them.
Why don't your tail it next time? It's a viable tactic that is provides less stress than grabbing a snakes head.

Really Fractal_man the guy is saving a beautiful specimen that could be in excess of ten, fifteen maybe even more years and that's what you've got too say....? Really?

Ok guys, it's great that you took it off the road.
I completely agreed that what you did was good. No dispute there. My point was maybe instead of grabbing it by the head another method could have been used. If someone came and held me by my head I would be incredibly stressed out.
But I will leave it at that.

Last edited:
When you've picked up a wild ten foot coastal let me know and we will continue this trivial argument...

I highly doubt anyone on this thread has picked up a wild ten foot coastal - they very, very rarely get that big. Particularly when there is a tape measure around. In all my time working removing wildlife from clearing sites I don't think I've had to head pin one yet, but having said that, I think a brief pin and move wouldn't really stress the animal to the point of affecting it's survival, so good on Rocket for shifting it.

I personally think a little stress is a good thing. I believe a simple pinch of the tail or quick a pin & pick up will resonate with the animal as a negative experience with the road. They aren't stupid (particularly at that size) and it's not an ordeal that will send the snake into a fit of deathly depression. By the time an animal reaches that size, it would have surely experienced more danger than being picked up..

Wow! :) what a beauty! :) and good on u for moving him on 2 safer ground.

A snake that big isn't going to be phased by having its head held for 2 minutes. When they get to that size nothing really worries them, big dopey things that they are.

I think the illegal side of what Rockett85 did gets overplayed, I mean has no one on here ever driven over the speed limit? Or puffed on a joint? Or downloaded movies or music illegally? Seriously, he picked up a snake, had a photo taken and moved it off the road, no big deal except that its a beautiful python.
I don`t particularly care where he had hold of it, the snake probably slithered off into the bush thinking " wow, what was all that about?!"
Nice job, Rockett85, awesome find!

Good job grabbing it getting a photo and moving it off the road rocket ,usually splattered well done mate.

- - - Updated - - -

A snake that big isn't going to be phased by having its head held for 2 minutes. When they get to that size nothing really worries them, big dopey things that they are.

Exactly ,simple thing becomes a controversy ,bites from big ones like that really hurt and they bite legs shoulders heads arms anywhere they can.

I caught one that was 10ft 9 (measured) and I tailed it just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back