Heating/Temp during Holiday

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canales

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I am based in SEQ and am looking to go for a holiday for approx. 3 – 4 weeks during summer. I will be keeping my snakes indoors (apartment) during the time when I am away. I will be having a friend coming weekly to change the water . My question is do I need to provide some form of heating (eg heater on timer on for 2 hours daily) or would it be ok if I provide no heating and leave the cage as it is? Please feel free to share your experiences.

Cheers

Last edited:
I live in SEQ also mate, with our temperature I think you would be fine with no heating.. Do you have a thermostat or just a timer?

I live in SEQ also mate, with our temperature I think you would be fine with no heating.. Do you have a thermostat or just a timer?

I have a thermostats for all the snakes. :) I am actually more worried about overheating rather than not enough heating....

Well leave it how you normally would... The thermostat will kick in
and it will never overheat

I understand your concerns. Thermostats and heating devices do fail from time to time. When you are home and regularly looking in these issues are quickly rectified. When you are not home, they aren't. When I go away in summer I generally ensure all food is digested and then turn the heat off while I'm away to stave off any chance of over heating. I have done this for years with no issues.

I leave all mine setup as normal and have the air con set to 26 degrees. If you have the correct wattage globes then it can't possibly overheat and the air con kicks in if temps rise above 26 to keep your ambient temps right.

What i did when i first got my tank was cranked the ac up and made it as hot as possible.. then i plugged all heating in with no thermostat just to make sure my tank could never get to dangerous temperatures... now next time i'm on holidays it doesn't matter if my thermostat dies because its not going to get hot enough in there to possibly cause a problem.. especially with someone coming to check every couple of day/wee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back