understanding jag %

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjryan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I dont understand when breeder say the jag python is a 50% 75% 88%
are they say that the quality is that % or is it about what is breeding
if it is the quality how do you know what % your jag is

thank you

[MENTION=26774]jjryan[/MENTION]

It has to do with genetics, not quality.

If you're after high quality I'd suggest looking at 0% jag.

Last edited:
It's the percentage of whatever subspecies being listed. a 75% Jungle jag would be 75% Jungle for example. A 87.5% Bredli Jag would be 87.5% Bredl's Python. If you breed a 50% Diamond Jag to a pure Diamond the offspring will all be 75% Diamond.

all different crosses,all jags,all spin at some stage...and at the end of the day you just have to take the breeders word about percentages.

I think people need to build a bridge... If you don't like jags, then why open a thread about jags and comment on them? They don't all spin and actually very few have bad neruo problems, most people wouldn't even notice neruo issues associated with the jag gene.

Last edited:
I think people need to build a bridge... If you don't like jags, then why open a thread about jags and comment on them? They don't all spin and actually very few have bad neruo problems, most people wouldn't even notice neruo issues associated with the jag gene.

A-freakin-men

thank you

Any jag is 100% jag or its not a jag

Those percentages tell you what else is in the mixture that produced the jags in the clutch
Original jags were supposedly coastals so you never see jag/coastal advertised

If a jag is bred with a jungle it will be 50% jungle etc etc

It works both ways, the presence or expression of neurological issues in Jags is understated by those who enjoy them, while being exaggerated by those who don't.

thank you
Back to your question.
I believe it is based on what % of the crossed python is.

Any discussion on whether or not you like jags is irrelevant!

Anthony
aka White Shadow

Original jags were supposedly coastals so you never see jag/coastal advertised

Not entirely true, there's been people who have bred 50% jags back to Coastals and market them as 75% or 88% Coastal. For example if they want a Zebra Caramel Jag they may breed the Coastal Jag into a Zebra Jungle then back into a Caramel Coastal. However for the most part people try and breed out the Coastal heritage to make the snake brighter. Higher % Jags tend to be more valuable and nicer looking but I have seen 50% Jags nicer than 88%+.

As for the Jag neuro; people say it doesn't affect the snake, it just makes them a bit derpy. I believe otherwise, my Jags seem to always be on edge and have a bad attitude so there may be a correlation to them not being content.

I understand now
i have seen alot on the jag neuro and its my understanding that it a low % of jag with any signs of neuro
STEWJOE i dont know if i would say it is a neuro problem i have a coastal with a bad attitude and is on edge all the time

A Jag is a Jag regardless of the ssp, it affects them all equally, it's part of the mutation. It's just my experience that Jags are more eager to bite.

It works both ways, the presence or expression of neurological issues in Jags is understated by those who enjoy them, while being exaggerated by those who don't.

Is it understated or is it just that they actually have first hand experience and see the really existent of the issues.

A car can be extremly dangerous but not so much if the person knows how to drive really well. It's the same with these breeders that keep animals in large numbers they do the right thing, just on a larger scale. Have you seen their set ups? Most people don't use temperature controlled rooms or perpose build racks. Infact pythons don't need much to actually survive they are pretty hardy and forgiving. Now introduce the jag gene and things change they become more sensitive and the small things set them off, while a regular carpet could be handled alot, fed etc and any stress won't be as obvious.

If you take a jag and put it in the average keepers hands, it's a diffirent story it's not a perfect environment, so it would be more likly that the jag will show Issues. If you have hundreds of jags you need to sell your not going to jump on a forum (or facebook) and tell everyone that your having issues with them. Although they proberly dont have many issues because of the flawless set ups the snakes are house in, many jag keepers have shown everyone their setups, not just one or two. I don't see the big deal about the jags having neuro issues, why even comment about weither or not they are having issues, it's irrilievent. The point is that the gene has issues. you can't change that either you want to play with the gene or you don't. Most people that have this animal gene are experienced keepers anyway with great set ups that I think respect the animals husbandry and the actual gene. The Americans are lunatics, cutting eggs open dragging them out likes its nothing while most aussie keepers are so careful peeking into the eggs lifting the lid slightly, so there you go a great example of why USA proberly have more issues with jags going off and AU less because of the attitude toward their snakes and the people saying they have had problems look like they only have a few snakes, so possibly Handel them more and less need to give them perfect attention to husbandry, while the keepers that keep on a larger scale need to be on their toes all the time or they'll have dead or il snakes which i think encourages them to show them more attention husbandry wise and possibly less attention handling wise.

I predict that as the gene becomes more available to the averrage keeper, espeseilly newbies you will see alot more threads about neuro issues to calm champagnes strong views on lack of neuro issues in jags.

Is it understated or is it just that they actually have first hand experience and see the really existent of the issues.

Are there tests to detect whether or not a Jag has the neurological issues associated with the gene? Experienced Jag keepers know as little about it as the rest of us. Breeding or owning Jags doesn't make somebody any more capable of knowing how many or how few suffer from neurological issues.

Whether we like it or not the Jag gene has been tied with neuro & Jag breeders produce these animals at their own calculated risk, which in it's self makes some people uncomfortable.

Last edited:
A car can be extremly dangerous but not so much if the person knows how to drive really well. It's the same with these breeders that keep animals in large numbers they do the right thing, just on a larger scale. Have you seen their set ups? Most people don't use temperature controlled rooms or perpose build racks. Infact pythons don't need much to actually survive they are pretty hardy and forgiving. Now introduce the jag gene and things change they become more sensitive and the small things set them off, while a regular carpet could be handled alot, fed etc and any stress won't be as obvious.

If you take a jag and put it in the average keepers hands, it's a diffirent story it's not a perfect environment, so it would be more likly that the jag will show Issues. If you have hundreds of jags you need to sell your not going to jump on a forum (or facebook) and tell everyone that your having issues with them. Although they proberly dont have many issues because of the flawless set ups the snakes are house in, many jag keepers have shown everyone their setups, not just one or two. I don't see the big deal about the jags having neuro issues, why even comment about weither or not they are having issues, it's irrilievent. The point is that the gene has issues. you can't change that either you want to play with the gene or you don't. Most people that have this animal gene are experienced keepers anyway with great set ups that I think respect the animals husbandry and the actual gene. The Americans are lunatics, cutting eggs open dragging them out likes its nothing while most aussie keepers are so careful peeking into the eggs lifting the lid slightly, so there you go a great example of why USA proberly have more issues with jags going off and AU less because of the attitude toward their snakes and the people saying they have had problems look like they only have a few snakes, so possibly Handel them more and less need to give them perfect attention to husbandry, while the keepers that keep on a larger scale need to be on their toes all the time or they'll have dead or il snakes which i think encourages them to show them more attention husbandry wise and possibly less attention handling wise.

I predict that as the gene becomes more available to the averrage keeper, espeseilly newbies you will see alot more threads about neuro issues to calm champagnes strong views on lack of neuro issues in jags.

This post is clearly an example of someone that has too much Google and u tube experience... I never said they have a lack of neruo, want I said is very few are the cork screwing controllable snakes that the haters like to portray that they are. As for the conditions needing to be perfect this is bs and a lot of ''newbies'' are buying jags because they are so cheap now, so where are all these threads you are claiming? Yes over handling will stress them out causing an increase in any neruo signs but if it is so bad why would a breeder bring jags to expos? wouldn't they all be cork screwing because of the stress?

- - - Updated - - -

Are there tests to detect whether or not a Jag has the neurological issues associated with the gene? Experienced Jag keepers know as little about it as the rest of us. Breeding or owning Jags doesn't make somebody any more capable of knowing how many or how few suffer from neurological issues.

All jags have neruro issues, so why would there be a test? Wouldn't a breeder that keeps and has produced 100+ jags have a better understanding about how bad the neruo issues is and how many actually display it? My answer would be yes because they are forming their opinion from real world experience not internet searches...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back