Sunshine Virus Testing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is a post to alert to everyone that Dr Tim Hyndman has developed a test for Sunshine Virus (previously thought to be OPMV) on live snakes. This development seems to have slipped under the radar. Previously the disease was only able to be diagnosed post mortem.

At our clinic we have diagnosed several cases and all been confirmed with the testing. All case histories had new snakes entering the collections within the last 12 months and quarantine had only been performed for 6 months. Testing is done on the live snakes with a mouth and cloacal swab and submitted for PCR. It usually takes 1-2 weeks for the result to come back.

The prompting for this post was mainly by the clients who's collections have been devastated and euthanased valuable animals which has taken a significant emotional and financial toll on them. I would recommend that anyone considering adding animals to their collection to quarantine and test for Sunshine Virus.

To have your animal tested it is best to contact your reptile vet and they should be familiar with the protocol or can contact Dr Tim Hyndman at Murdoch University for testing information.

Regards

Jonathon Howard
Sugarloaf Animal Hospital

Interesting news, are you able to tell us roughly how much the test costs to have done per animal minus the consult fee?

Hi Jungle,
Testing at our practice is about $130 plus consult and courier postage.
Cheers

Jonathon

Hi all,

This is a post to alert to everyone that Dr Tim Hyndman has developed a test for Sunshine Virus (previously thought to be OPMV) on live snakes. This development seems to have slipped under the radar. Previously the disease was only able to be diagnosed post mortem.

At our clinic we have diagnosed several cases and all been confirmed with the testing. All case histories had new snakes entering the collections within the last 12 months and quarantine had only been performed for 6 months. Testing is done on the live snakes with a mouth and cloacal swab and submitted for PCR. It usually takes 1-2 weeks for the result to come back.

The prompting for this post was mainly by the clients who's collections have been devastated and euthanased valuable animals which has taken a significant emotional and financial toll on them. I would recommend that anyone considering adding animals to their collection to quarantine and test for Sunshine Virus.

To have your animal tested it is best to contact your reptile vet and they should be familiar with the protocol or can contact Dr Tim Hyndman at Murdoch University for testing information.

Regards

Jonathon Howard
Sugarloaf Animal Hospital

So does OPMV actually exist in Australia? It is the number one reason DPaW give us for not being able to import pythons into WA. And specifically because the pythons have to be dead to test for it.

OPMV or what is now referred to as ferlavirus has not yet been positively identified in Australia as yet. So for all evidence so far does not exist here. Sunshine virus is a paramyxovirus that is closely related to ferlavirus. This is what Tim has been researching and his findings and opinions.

Whoops... error!

I certainly will have any new additions tested. Very cheap considering it offers piece of mind, and increased safety for your entire collection. Tim he has been doing some great work.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry I just realised. Sorry to be a fool, brain stopped working early today :) So much information that day that IBD/arenavirus, and sunshine virus/paramyxovirus became jumbled in my silly mind.

Last edited:
The ban on importing pythons into WA is based on trying to exclude IBD. OPMV and Sunshine Virus have never been part of the official reason, although some wildlife officers over here have incorrectly managed to think so.

Thanks Jonny.

Blue

I was aware that the IBD virus had been identified as belonging to the arenavirus group and that a blood test to identify it was being worked on. The blood screening was considered as effective for those with inclusion bodies in the blood cells but they were not convinced all infected individuals would have this. That perspective may have changed. It has been some time since I last researched it so I am not up to date. What I can say from the article provided is that seems to be somewhat contradictory. The introductory discussion says quite clearly ...
"Arenaviruses are RNA-based rather than DNA-based and in this way are similar to retroviruses. This is a significant advance in our understanding of the disease but we are a long way from being able to identify every infected snake..."

Unless the test is guaranteed 100% effective in diagnosing the presence of the virus in snakes it is not going to be acceptable to DPaW. I would also warrant that no-one has yet raised the recent advances made with DPaW's scientific officers.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back