what substrate donu thinks best

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bladesmd

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm just wondering what substrate every one uses and why they think its best

Going off your avatar and username, I’d assuming it’s a hatchy MD? If so, a click clack with paper towel or newspaper will be perfectly adequate. Once it’s a bit bigger and can go into a proper enclosure, newspaper will still be fine but loose substrates like kitty litter or aspen are good to reducing smells and cleaning time.

Yer he's a juvenile I've got him in a actually I'll put a pic of his enclosure up

Isn't substrate the word u use for the stuff u put on the floor like AstroTurf kitty litter newspaper etc? Isn't it?

uploadfromtaptalk1406855643159.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what he's in now bit I was just wondering what others use son I could get a few ideas

Its 30cm bye 30cm bye 30cm

Isn't substrate the word u use for the stuff u put on the floor like AstroTurf kitty litter newspaper etc? Isn't it?

Yes it is.. substrate refers to the "flooring", but without people knowing what species it's for they won't be able to help you out properly.

I.e water is a suitable substrate for turtles... not so much for bluetongues though.

Yer I was thinking he would b fine in there for a year atleast

Thanks for the advice

I am using "Chippy" which is shredded coconut shells.

When I fed Bob the other day, I defrosted a rat in the fridge and then used a jar of hot water to warm it up Bob.
However the bag leaked and the rat became wet.
I sponged it off the best I could but Bob managed to consume a bit of the substrate that was stuck to a damp rat.

The packaging states that it is safe to consume and will not cause any I'll effects. I'm sure snakes in the wild don't usually brush off their prey before consuming them ;)

I was thinking of using kitty litter as a base and then a layer of Chippy on top. Kitty litter is cheaper than Chippy so the idea has merit.

I am using "Chippy" which is shredded coconut shells.

When I fed Bob the other day, I defrosted a rat in the fridge and then used a jar of hot water to warm it up Bob.
However the bag leaked and the rat became wet.
I sponged it off the best I could but Bob managed to consume a bit of the substrate that was stuck to a damp rat.

The packaging states that it is safe to consume and will not cause any I'll effects. I'm sure snakes in the wild don't usually brush off their prey before consuming them ;)

I was thinking of using kitty litter as a base and then a layer of Chippy on top. Kitty litter is cheaper than Chippy so the idea has merit.
Thanks I was looking at that hemp core I think its called its the inside of hemp plants shredded up it sound similar to the stuff you use but was just worried about them swallowing it don't known if its OK so might go with the chippy thanks mate

I was browsing the local reptile store and the had a delivery of what looks like the grey kitty litter but it was compressed and recycled pine I believe.
Reptile safe and much cheaper than Chippy. I'm going back on the weekend to hopefully pick up my rat order and a bag of the stuff.

I'm going to use a thick base layer of the stuff then finish off with a shallower layer of Chippy.

I'll post updates when I change the "bed sheets" :)

I was browsing the local reptile store and the had a delivery of what looks like the grey kitty litter but it was compressed and recycled pine I believe.
Reptile safe and much cheaper than Chippy. I'm going back on the weekend to hopefully pick up my rat order and a bag of the stuff.

I'm going to use a thick base layer of the stuff then finish off with a shallower layer of Chippy.

I'll post updates when I change the "bed sheets" :)
That would be great thanks mate is are u talking about the stuff I'm using at the moment(grey Kitty litter like substance)? ?uploadfromtaptalk1407253032953.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407253050346.jpg

Yes mate. It's the same size and shape just different colour

Yer its good stuff just want something about more natrule looking

Stay away from recycled paper pellets with young snakes, good for absortion of liquids but they do break down & create fine dust which is particularly hazardous as snakes can breathe this in & unlike us snakes cannot cough. Some of these products do specify a dust free percentage rating so its best to pay a bit more for a better product if you decide to use it.
Butchers paper or just newspaper may not look the best but is by far the safest.

Stay away from recycled paper pellets with young snakes, good for absortion of liquids but they do break down & create fine dust which is particularly hazardous as snakes can breathe this in & unlike us snakes cannot cough. Some of these products do specify a dust free percentage rating so its best to pay a bit more for a better product if you decide to use it.
Butchers paper or just newspaper may not look the best but is by far the safest.

Ive noticed the same thing with paper pellets, breaks down quickly and causes a lot of dust. I no longer use is cleaning up all the dust was a royal pain and im sure the animals didnt like it either. I use it as litter for my mice colony, works really well to keep smells down but i am changing it out weekly so that probably helps.

Rick

[MENTION=2942]aspidito[/MENTION] and [MENTION=37722]Rogue5861[/MENTION], what sort of paper pellets are you referring to? I use Breeder’s Choice almost exclusively now in my adult enclosures and I’ve never seen any sort of dust. I had heaps with Oz Pet but that was obviously wood, not paper based.

[MENTION=2942]aspidito[/MENTION] and [MENTION=37722]Rogue5861[/MENTION], what sort of paper pellets are you referring to? I use Breeder’s Choice almost exclusively now in my adult enclosures and I’ve never seen any sort of dust. I had heaps with Oz Pet but that was obviously wood, not paper based.

Pretty certain that is the brand ive got, ill take a pic of the bag i have out in the shed. It doesnt have any/much when pored out of the bag but it definatly breaks down and causes a fine dust.

Editted- adding photo
utunamu7.jpg

Rick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back