Opinions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I once sold a $20,000 sponsorship deal a few years ago for my previous site :)
You need to be able to attract serious sponsorship dollars in order to get the site some dollars to play with.
Not saying that the goal needs to be 20k but the sponsors need to give up more than just banner ads.

I don't know the mechanics of the site and what it hopes to achieve so will refrain from posting improvement suggestions :):)

Last edited:
So .... People that enjoy this site.... What we guna do?.... I also agree that the sponsors r protected more so than just Tom dick and Harry on here ... Just saying ;)

Its stupid how sponsors are protected over the members. Without the members there is no site and nothing to sponsor.

While I do try to advise the noobies from time to time and I do get frustrated by them giving advise that is wrong, dangerous and stupid. What I find worse still is the level of advanced keepers who give their advice and demand that their way is the only way to do things right. Some of us have been around long enough to know there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Also PM'd

As a new comer to the site this is were i see it from. Some people will no doubt disagree, but this is only my opinion.

1) A persons experience status on here is by the post count, it is almost like if you don't have a large post count, then who are you to give advice.
2) when a person questions someones advice, then the posse comes out with " well they have been doing this for XX amount of years, so you better listen to them."
3) Chit chat threads get more attention than actual herp related threads.
4) If someone does a ask a basic question, it seems the end result is " well you shouldn't have reptiles, Just give it to someone who does"

What some people need to understand is this. They were only beginners at one stage to, they started were everyone starts. In a new hobby that can be overwhelming. And when their advice is questioned, I don't think it's to be a smart a$$, I think it's that you learn more when you understand the reason behind the advice.

I am only new to the hobby, but there was a lady that came one here to ask some questions and for some guidance and she got absolutely slammed, it was disgusting really. I PM'ed her and passed on very little that I knew and what had been working for me, explained the reasons behind the advice, tried to help her track down a rat breeder in her state, suggested some books that might help her and so on. I'm not sure if she has been back, but after her first experience I wouldn't blame her if she hasn't. But just because I am new, have a post count under 100, that doesn't make me fit enough to give advice and I certainly wouldn't have in the main thread, but no else was helping. After the last email she sent me explaining what she was doing, her enclosure and a few pics of her pet, I reckon she'll be doing ok, and her pet Coastal will probably live a great life now. But what she was doing was wrong in my eyes and without that little bit of advice and guidance I am not sure if her pet would have been happy and healthy.

Facebook is another factor. I wasn't using facebook when I joined up here, I would jump on the partners and look around the reptile pages. But now I have joined back up and use it solely for herp related stuff, and that is about it really. But you seem to get a larger, quicker response on there than you do a forum, and people seem less judgmental ( Don't get me wrong, I have still come across some well know herpers that think they are the mighty god of herpers ) but it is less overall. Not only that, it is a bit more specific on Facebook as in you can search groups from your state, or specific species groups, so on so on.

I mean, I still have questions in regards to why has one of my snakes gone off food when I haven't prepared her for breeding, or changed any routine, but I would ask them somewhere else, mainly because of the amount of replies I would get, and the quality of the replies that I would get ( if that makes sense ) I just wing it, and if I feel that concerned I will just take her to the vet.

Like I said, this just my view on it, and my opinion... Oh and I haven't seen a problem with the mods and the way they do things, I could be wrong, but I have never personally been affected unless they were trying to help.

Cheers,
Ben

I agree with what you're saying Ben. If I have a question or anything I'm now far more likely to ask people on Facebook, most of whom I know in real life anyway. I do find a lot of valuable information on this site but I don't get involved in many discussions. My favourite threads are the 'show us your ...'

Awaiting some form of moderator response to some very good replies

The responses need to come from the Admin crew not the moderators.
The lack of response speaks volumes.

The Admin and Mod's can only do so much, they are treated a lot like the police. People jump up and down when they get moderated but then call out for them when things aren't going their way. ( from my experience owning and running a forum for many years )
It's up to the people posting to make the site what it should be. It is only a few that ruin it for everyone else, these people need ask them self before they post is my post going to be helpful, am I being tactful if I am posting something negative, could the person take what I have said the wrong way ( maybe rewrite it? ) and don't pick on the small stuff let it go ....
All common sense I would of thought... Just my 2c

Awaiting some form of moderator response to some very good replies

What sort of response are you after PDM? While there are some great suggestions I agree, unfortunately some are not feasible due to site mechanics and certain individuals more interested in being a hindrance than a help.

I personally have implemented a couple of suggestions from the folks who took the initiative to act on my offer of PMing me. I have no need to highlight these changes or offer any further comment on it but I have noticed that they (those who contacted me) are posting more frequently and that in certain areas we are having more intellectual discussions. The moderators work as a team and while we may not be "seen" on the forums much and what is seen is more often than not an action that a particular group of folks would see as "a bad decision".

We will never be able to please everyone all of the time and to most people we are just a name on screen but all I can suggest is that if you see or think that something needs to be actioned or changed, call it out so it can be looked at. Just be aware that while it may be a good suggestion to some, it needs to benefit the entire forum and not cause waves or issues.

Regards
Stuart

The responses need to come from the Admin crew not the moderators.
The lack of response speaks volumes.
Thats incorrect, we work as a team. I would suggest you take your own advice on the site mechanics before offering insight based on just your own experience.

Thats incorrect, we work as a team. I would suggest you take your own advice on the site mechanics before offering insight based on just your own experience.

Really? Such a nice and abrasive response from a moderator. So you prefer I post based on other people's experience instead?

I stand by my comment. If, as you claim, you work as a team then your output needs to be questioned.
After 5 pages of discussion, I can see a common denominator but your "team" holds its constituents in contempt.

Hey, it's your party, run it how "you" see fit and you keep on treating your members this way. I'm sure the sponsors appreciate the treatment of their potential customers.

Way to go champ

Last edited:
Actually, I was suggesting you looked at the bigger picture rather than post an open ended comment in a public forum.

My comment was not meant to be abrasive and I will openly apologise if it was perceived as such however my point was only that a week ago you commented you did not know much about the site mechanics and today you make a bold statement of how a moderator/admin team should run based on only your experience as a former site admin.

Judging by some of the reptile keeprs I've met recently, I'd say the biggest impact on the number of site users is adult literacy.

Judging purely on the posts in the last two days letting arrogant, rude and illiterate little *****s post multiple threads with multiple user names won't help the forum either :p

Judging purely on the posts in the last two days letting arrogant, rude and illiterate little *****s post multiple threads with multiple user names won't help the forum either :p
Have you flagged these alleged abuses of the forum with the moderator's? If not, why not?

Your use of the term "let" clearly indicates that you consider that these alleged abuses occurred with the knowledge and sanctioning of either one or more moderators or administrators. Would you be please explain what information you base that contention on?

Answers to these questions are needed to address the alleged issues, to rectify the situation that allowed this to happen (as stated) and to determine the most effective course of action, particularly if other forum users should encounter a similar situation in future.

Can we just ignore rule infringement of using of using inappropriate language this time around for the sake of dealing with the much more serious claims made.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
All good mate. His multiple accounts have now been stopped and some of his threads deleted. I don't feel I need to flag these issues with moderators as its pretty plain to see.

Just to add I did not use in appropriate language. Some filters are just set a bit high.

[MENTION=36803]Senator358[/MENTION]

I am still curious about a couple of things you did not address...

You used the plural to indicate there was more than one? A typo or otherwise?

You clearly indicated that the mods had knowing let it happen. It that still your contention? Could this be the actual reason you did not report it to the mods?

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I was suggesting you looked at the bigger picture rather than post an open ended comment in a public forum.

My comment was not meant to be abrasive and I will openly apologise if it was perceived as such however my point was only that a week ago you commented you did not know much about the site mechanics and today you make a bold statement of how a moderator/admin team should run based on only your experience as a former site admin.

Apology accepted. I was commenting on the lack of response.
However, that was then, today is a sunny Sunday.

[MENTION=20726]Bluetongue1[/MENTION]

I used the plural as it is not the first time that multiple threads asking basically the same question, from one user, have been allowed to continue.
In this instance there were so many threads that it would have been impossible for them to not be noticed by a mod so I didn't feel the need to report it. Since most of the threads were allowed to continue I assumed it must be OK by moderator standards.
I just come here to read and sometimes offer advice if I feel it is wanted. I'm not here to report people.

I left this site for about about two years, and now that I've returned I have noticed the site is much less active than it used to be. It probably is mostly facebook and twitter that have contributed to that, not to mention the decline in the hobby itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back