Lighting for a Bredli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrVic

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Some of you may have seen my thread on the Casa Del Bob renovations.

I acquired him in a glass tank with a 2ft uv fitting inside the viv attached to a roof door making it awkward to remove.

When I built the insulating base and walls, I moved the light fitting to the outside of the viv and increased it to a 4ft fitting, building it into the new back. It has a reptile tube in the fitting with the diffuser in place for aesthetic appeal.

Now I'm aware that certain uv will not penetrate the glass. Question is, do I need to mount the fitting inside the viv, or does he not require any uv light? (as suggested in another thread).

It has probably been asked over and over but due to conflicting posts I though I'd ask as my set up is different to most.

Cheers

Vic

Pythons don't need any extra UV.
There is a debate on whether diamonds do, and if a lack of UV is a major factor in DPS, so many people including myself do supply UV for Diamonds. Basically erring on the side of caution as its not going to harm them in any way if it isn't necessary.

Yeah UV isn't really needed at all. As stated Diamonds can benefit from it, but other snakes nah.

Change to leds and save yourself on your power bill, fluros arnt the most efficent lighting system. Leds are brighter and use less power then fluros and thats what i use for species that dont require UVB.

Rick

Thanks everyone.

That's lifted a weight off my shoulders. And now I don't have to worry about finding someone to drill glass.

LED's now for sure. I only fitted a $45 tube for the UV :( Oh well. Another lesson learnt.

Thanks folks.

If you have already fitted the UV, I would use it.
I provide UV for all my snakes because I like to replicate the wild as much as I can.
I know snakes can survive without it, but why should I deny my snakes the opportunity to expose themselves to UV, when they have been spending millions of years evolving alongside the sun.
My coastal and bredli both spend time under their UV light.

- - - Updated - - -

I could survive and reproduce living just on burgers, doesn't make it the best thing for me.

Just saying.

He had uv light for 14.5 years.
If he doesn't need it, I will leave it as it is. Otherwise I'll hunt for a glazier that can drill glass on site that isn't going to cost me a kidney. :)
Will no amount of uv get through the glass and diffuser?

You can also get glass drill bits and hole saws off eBay for not a bad price. Does pay to practice on an old piece of glass first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back