South Western Carpet Python Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a nice snake mate. Got any like that for sale?

Kept the best two. Both males :-/
Gave one to a friend. And sold one that was being ff to another enthusiast. The rest are pretty normal.
Interesting for SWCP, as we don't have the selective breeding that has been done over east on the other sub species. Will be fun to see what SWCP produce from line breeding in the next few decades.

Kept the best two. Both males :-/
Gave one to a friend. And sold one that was being ff to another enthusiast. The rest are pretty normal.
Interesting for SWCP, as we don't have the selective breeding that has been done over east on the other sub species. Will be fun to see what SWCP produce from line breeding in the next few decades.

What? And none for the onwer of their grandparents?? I'm shattered :)

S

PS: great looking imbricata, Trent.

What? And none for the onwer of their grandparents?? I'm shattered :)

S

PS: great looking imbricata, Trent.

Haha :)
Happy to give you one of the male hold backs Simon! I tend to think it a product of incubation more than anything :) A few friends swooped in on them quickly though....

attachments didn't seem to work.

- - - Updated - - -

This Swcp is a little different. From lasts seasons hatchies.

To me that looks like a jag. But dont take offence. I remember talking to a friend years ago about how the imbricata were pretty well untapped and had heap of potential.
Its great to see you guys working with them and that there is no need to jag them with outcomes like this!

ps its not a jag is it?

To me that looks like a jag. But dont take offence. I remember talking to a friend years ago about how the imbricata were pretty well untapped and had heap of potential.
Its great to see you guys working with them and that there is no need to jag them with outcomes like this!

ps its not a jag is it?

Haha. Pure Imbricata. The result of pairing two siblings I got from adderboy.
As shown in Barker & Barker, imbricata don't have a suture in the nasal scale.
I tried the water over method of incubation with this clutch and it went wrong. I suspect that is why a few look like this.
You are right though the sub species has huge potential for line breeding. Not perhaps anything that hasn't been produced with other sub species. But it's interesting to be able to work with animals that are wild caught or only a few gen captive bred.
I've seen some pictures if what other Swcp breeders are producing and it's pretty cool.
I just hope no one cuts corners and does hybridise them. I think the fun part is keeping them pure.

It is the result of sib to sib, not the incubation. This is actually the reason why jags are popular. For you now to produce truly radical pattern you have to grow these ones out and then breed them. theres the time thing, you'll end up with absolutely awesome animals that are 100% healthy, but others without patience or passion, will simply just whack a jag in.
Nice work mate!

I got two newies a couple of months ago...

Male:

Female:

Plus a more recent photo of a yearling I put up earlier:

My female is looking the goods for breeding this year, very excited for this pair. :)

DSC_0158-2-2.jpg

Smowman, is this the little one you posted in May? Its an absolute cracker!! Must be awesome to find something so different in a clutch of normal looking snakes?

Yep same one. Many better ones died in the eggs unfortunately. This one is eating well. It has a sib that is being ff that will be just as nice if it starts eating. Two others that survived and feeding are looking good but normal sort of pattern. I'll get a pic eventually and tag you so you can see.

- - - Updated - - -

This one didnt make it out of the egg. Heart broken. They did seem like a weaker clutch than normal.

Your SWCPs are so pretty [MENTION=16366]Snowman[/MENTION]. Really nice contrast. Shame about the hatchlings that didn't make it. The one above had an amazing stripey pattern.

Are you still thinking the unusual patterns are a result of incubation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back